Stealth - a reality check

• 2017 posts
    August 4, 2014 5:25 PM BST

I don't live in stealth, I make no attempt to hide my past, on the contrary, I'm proud of my life so why would I? The reality of stealth for me would be hilarious however, due to having young children. Here are a few of the situations I have day to day. 

1. You collect your children from the school bus, the bus supervisor addresses you as female but of course your children call out 'Hi Dad!' 

2. Parents / teacher meetings - well, we usually get the invite as Mrs and Mr (standard letter) until the class teacher knows different, which happens when I arrive! Of course, the children refer to me as Dad to their teacher. (They do readdress the letter for further meetings though).

3. Your children's friends playing over / sleeping over. First they are suprised to see their friend has two Mums but then another puzzled look appears on their faces when one of them is Mum and the other is Dad. Lol Obviously, the parents fo these children who play over have to go through this too. 

All of which means in my situation stealth is not possible even if it was something I sought, which I don't. It simply means I have to give an explanation here and there as to why things are the way they are. To date, none of the children's friends are bothered and nether are the parents, which is all the more surprising given that I live and work in a military envioronment. There are those who may suggest my children call me 'Mum' as well but who am I to enforce that? To them, I am still their 'Dad' and my gender is my issue and for me to deal with, not them. 

• 146 posts
    August 4, 2014 7:30 PM BST

Thanks  Nikki,

You must be a great Parent  anyway and thats what matters !

The reality check is that there are transgender people and they are real . I dont mind the mistakes 

, after all they are understandable 

-1] Before I got my hair cut short , the manager at a tool hire firm called me Madam  whilst I was in Drab and Stealth.  - Well My cover was blown  I am a Transexual !!- th eout come was the manager apologised and siad that i was most welcome to come to the shop agian.

-2]  Lady at the Pharmacy were I was picking up my Hormone prescription , saw me waiting  sitting with only my head visible  So out of view dressed in my Summer casual dress. "Can I help you Sir" ,   I had to Laugh and we both had a good laugh about this . She siad she wished she could have her hair short like mine as it was more comfortable

No problem . 

A smile always helps .

• 48 posts
    August 5, 2014 7:35 AM BST
    I agree entirely Nikki. Like you, as a parent, I took the decision early on that stealth was not an option- and neither was denying my past. My children are older, so I don't have the sleepovers any more- but being called "Dad" in a very loud, slightly drunken way does tend to grab attention in a crowded pub! Xx
    • 2017 posts
    August 5, 2014 3:34 PM BST

That's the real world for you though isn't it? I suppose stealth is possible if you never had children and perhaps transitioned earlier in life, and moved away, etc. For the rest of us, you simply have to learn to deal with it. 

The swimming pool or the beach is always a giggle too. Lol. 

The world is getting more and more used to us now though so it isn't the problem it once used to be.