Name change by Deed Poll.

• 20 posts
    February 17, 2012 8:27 PM GMT

With effect from 1st January 2012 I legally became Sarah Winfield.

It took a couple of weeks for me to come to terms with this and to get my act together to notify the many bodies that have to be aware of this change.

My bank cards are now all in my new name as is the various aspects of living in the UK e.g. utility companies, investments, pensions etc etc.

Today I received back from the DVLA my driving licence and the number now contains an element that identifies me as female.

I am so pleased with this recognition and although it is only a title it really makes me feel like the person I am.

I have physical developements as well and I just feel so good about myself.

Whether I am doing this whole thing correctly I don't know. I do know I am doing it as I see fit and risking the consequences. 

There has been an enormous personal loss in that my Sons have totally disowned me, cutting off my access to Grandchildren .

On the other hand I have met some wonderful people who have helped me come to terms with the changes that have happened so quickly in my life.

Best wishes,

SarahW

• 21 posts
    March 20, 2012 10:08 PM GMT
    Hi Sarah
    I changed my name by deed poll.Like you my bank account, driving licence and all the other aspects you mentioned are all in my new name .I also have a new nhs number.
    I am so sorry to hear that your sons have disowned you and you have lost access to your grand children.I know it is heart breaking as we lost access to our first grandchild when my son and his then partner split up.we still have no access.I am glad you have met people who have helped you and i hope you will be happy in your new life.My only regret was not doing it sooner but thats life.
    Emma