Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Passing in public » In my experience in Public....

In my experience in Public....

Tags : None
  • I've been out and about in several environments in Australia from Oxford Street, Darlinghurst in Sydney (where the Mardi Gras Parade walks) to the bush out in the Northern Territory where things are very much still conservative.

In all my experiences I've found two fairly common factors and they are not the clothes you are wearing, the make-up or how feminine/masculine you look but are :

1. The confidence and comfort you exude in the person you are presenting as.

2. A smile and a welcoming/warm expression (sometimes I've seen CD;s walking around with a stern/challenging look in their eyes like they've got something to prove and everyone is going to challenge them).

May 20, 2015 10:43 AM BST
  • I've walked around Darlinghurst and The Cross Shirley, and was not challenged by anyone. Maybe it would be different in the CBD but I got away without being read on that occasion. As you say, confidence and a smile make all the difference.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm!
    This post was edited by katieglover at May 21, 2015 7:39 AM BST
      May 21, 2015 7:36 AM BST
  • Well I wouldn't venture into the Cross :)

But then with my lack of vision it is a little on the dangerous side but yes Darlinghurst is certainly very open. Newtown also. Sydney CBD I suspect is so busy no one would notice anyway or particularly care (after all its another 100m away from Darlinghurst).

Then again I've found myself in situations where the average person I'm with knows who I am and I haven't really had any issues in Sydney.

Probably the most obvious of which was sitting at the front of my Maths lecture at Uni (and I mean not just at the front but obviously seperated as I use interpreters) where everyone knew I was a male but I had to go straight from the lecture to the Gender Centre to celebrate my Birthday. I don't know how many people remember what was actually taught that lesson.......

May 21, 2015 10:06 AM BST
  • I.don't wear makeup, aside from lip gloss and a touch of mascara. Wholeheartedly agree that what matters is not the clothes or body shape but how comftable you are with yourself. Always wear a smile ♥ Xxx
      June 13, 2015 7:00 AM BST