A few good clothing stores

• 539 posts
    September 1, 2002 6:45 PM BST
    Thrift stores are also good.  At the Deseret Industries thrift store (in local slang, the D.I.) I found a lovely black pleated skirt for $5.  Since the D.I. is Mormon-owned, it is probably not that tranny-friendly, but I don't think I was read.

Kristina, local support and social groups are definitely a great way to begin coming out.  Without that support, I would probably still be hiding at home.  I don't know off hand of any in your area.  The Internet is a good source, but there is no single good website with listings.  I was lucky - one of the groups in my area (Engendered Species) is listed as a link from TrannyWeb.  Another good source of information would be a local gay/lesbian community center; most large cities probably have one.  To find a list of community centers, check out this link.

http://lgbtcenters.org/home.htm

Gay/lesbian community centers are usually safe places for transgendered people, and they may know of transgender social or support groups.  This might be a good topic for another post.  When I get a little time, I will post a few more resources on the general board.  Check back in a few days.

Heather H.
    • 539 posts
    August 11, 2002 8:29 PM BST
    I just discovered Payless Shoe Source.  I went in intending to buy perhaps one pair of shoes and walked out with four, at a total cost of under $50.  At their prices, I could acquire a shoe collection rivaling that of Imelda Marcos and not go bankrupt.  I strongly recommend it.

I have now begun to do my shopping dressed, and it has worked out very well.  I don't think I will do much shopping as a male anymore.  I will now take note of how tranny-friendly the stores are (that is, assuming that I am read and still treated with respect).

Heather H.
    • 539 posts
    July 30, 2002 11:12 PM BST
    I thought I should list a few of the stores where I have had good luck shopping.  I hope others will add to this list; we could all use suggestions.  So far, I have always gone shopping at these stores as a male, and as far as I know, the sales staff probably thought I was buying clothes for someone else, so I don't know how they would react to someone in drag.  I do plan on shopping in drag in the near future - a social group I am involved with will probably plan a shopping trip soon.  I will list any good finds.

1.  Target:  (a discount store found through much of the U.S.)  They have stylish clothing at very reasonable prices - mainly casual stuff.

2.  Fred Meyer:  (a discount store found in the western U.S.)  They have good clothing at reasonable prices - some a little dressier than what Target has.  Clearance sales are often good.

3.  Meier & Frank:  (a department store - part of the May Department Stores chain)  I have had great luck finding all kinds of clothing, from casual to some of my favorite fancy dresses.  They frequently have sales; a nice dress can be had for under $20.  Watch the newspaper for sale coupons.  Sales staff are helpful and do not seem to be bothered by men shopping for women's clothing.  This has become my favorite place to shop.

4.  Victoria's Secret and Frederick's of Hollywood:  Obvious choices.  Shopping as a male in these stores is not seen as weird.

5.  Ross Dress for Less:  Clearance merchandise at very reasonable prices.  I have found a number of nice outfits there.

6.  Rite-Aid:  Good source of makeup, personal hygiene products, and pantyhose.

These suggestions are based on particular locations where I have shopped.  I don't know how variable these stores are from location to location, but so far my experiences have been positive.  I hope to hear of other ideas.

Love,

Heather H.
  • September 9, 2002 7:59 PM BST
    Hi Kristina

Well done. Little steps are the secret. Your friend sounds like a jewel, treat her well.

Best wishes

Sarah