Are these body shapers any good ?

• 246 posts
    September 14, 2002 7:12 PM BST
    you could try creams? i havent, but i hear they are reasonably ok. ???
    • 1 posts
    September 13, 2002 2:39 PM BST
    I have been thinking of buying a body shaper that will add some padding to my hips and my bum. I have seen this http://www.fredericks.com/shopItemDetail.asp?ItemID=51371&SID=Q0DKX7CXKS728G
    ELB92QAA9E1BNM5WG3 panty with foam pads at Fredericks but it looks like the foam pads do not blend in smoothly to the garment. Has anyone tried these and found that they can be worn without looking "lumpy" through the rest of your clothes ?

Kelly
  • September 14, 2002 8:34 AM BST
    Hi Kelly

I don't know about that particular model, it doesn't look as if it has any hip padding, but you can always make your own padding very cheaply.

What you need is two old pairs of tights (pantyhose) and some cotton wool. What you do is:-

1  cut the legs off the tights and throw them away

2  put one of the panties inside the other, most easily done by wearing them both

3  sew the inside pantie to the outside pantie around the leg holes using shirring elastic (elastic thread)

4  now stuff the cotton wool between the inside and outside panties

5  this is the fun bit; put the panties on and get in a bath of cold porridge but I told you it was the fun bit ;D

6  when the panties are thoroughly wet you can mold them to the shape you want. This is much easier and better if you have someone to help you.

7  finally, sew the two panties together around the waist with shirring elastic.

The basic problem with all these padded panties is how they blend in, usually not at all, with the tops of your thighs. Using this method you can leave a bit of the leg on and put some padding down there, although that is very fiddely and often not successful. It's also best to wear a body shaper on top of the panties.

Best wishes

Sarah