Are You Convincing Or Not?

• October 13, 2005 3:35 AM BST
    Yes, the ways in which questions are asked and answers are given can be just as important as the content.
    • 1980 posts
    October 13, 2005 8:33 PM BST
    Hi All-

I notice Claire has been conspicuously absent from this thread since her response on Sept 17th, nearly a month ago. I hope she's still around and chooses to remain a part of the group. I certainly think the question she originally asked could have been phrased in a more fortuitous and considerate way, but I do feel the question was asked in honesty. All in all I think it got a lot of feelings out in the open and a lot of good information and points of view were put forth and that's one of the purposes of TW and having a bulletin board where opinions can be aired without hostility. Well, okay, maybe a little but not too much.<lol>

Hugs...Joni
    • 1652 posts
    October 14, 2005 2:23 AM BST
    Personally I think it was a silly question, without doubt phrased offensively, and perhaps that was intentional. “Why do men go out dressed as women?” is a fair question for this sort of site; “why are you all such ugly trannies going through mid-life crises when I’m so young and beautiful blah blah” isn’t very nice really is it? I note that Claire was an active member of this site for just 5 days, and hasn’t logged on since. I’m renowned for my (sometimes over-enthusiastic) faith in human nature, but on this occasion, Joni I’m afraid I don’t share that faith with you.
    If Claire still has genuine questions then I know many of us will do our best to answer them, including myself. If she just wants to insult people, hit them where it hurts (hell, we know we’re ugly men don’t we; we don’t need some kid reminding us…) and then call us arseholes (for pointing out her less than eloquent manner), then I think she has achieved that, and has probably got bored and moved on to some other way of passing the time.
    To recap, she doesn’t know anything about transsexuals or transvestites, thinks they are all old and ugly, but is trying to become to be a shemale herself. She is “still not sure about this forum”, because her friend gave her a link to it and then promptly went funny on her and stopped being her friend. Despite good and friendly advice on another thread she still hadn’t made her mind up about this site. She knows the Village like the back of her hand but seems to have missed a few things such as, “napolian” is actually “Napoleon’s” (all 3 floors of it), “via fosta” is “Via Fossa”, and “bar bars” or whatever she called it (all this in another thread) is actually “Baa Bar”. What’s more, Baa Bar, the one place she recommended in the Village is the ONLY place I’ve heard bad reports from, it being predominately a straight bar. But then if drinks for a pound is your motivation for entering an establishment then you pays your money and you takes your chances…
    Claire, if you ever do come back then I hope you don’t find my observations about you any more offensive than your observations about the trannies in the Village. People on this site are really nice, genuine, caring people, if you can’t see that then you are either blind, stupid or not in possession of any such traits yourself.
    Perhaps she got bored so quickly because in amongst her derision she unwittingly asked a valid question; “Why DO men go out dressed as women?” And rather than getting us wound up as she had hoped, we proceeded to answer that question with intelligence and good humour. It’s what we’re good at after all.
    Come back and talk to us and prove me wrong Claire, please do.
    I shan’t hold my breath.
    xx
    • 2627 posts
    October 14, 2005 2:50 AM BST
    Lucy? I've never heard you speak like that. I think your 100% right. But I think I'll try to stay on your good side.
    She's gone & I'll bet she hasn't learned a thing. It's to bad realy you never know where something good might come from.
    • 1652 posts
    October 14, 2005 12:49 PM BST
    Oooh Robyn, you big tease, at least tell us where we can see this photo?
    Karen, I apologise for my candour, time of the month perhaps, oh that's another thread...
    xx
    • 2627 posts
    October 14, 2005 2:56 PM BST
    No need to be sorry. I found it refreshing.
    • 530 posts
    October 15, 2005 6:47 PM BST
    Robyn.

You must have the wrong photo. This cannot be the person decribed in her post. I for one would certainly have no problem identifying this person as 't'.

Sorry if it is you Claire, but if so, your friends have perhaps been kind to you for risk of causing offence.
    Against many of the girls I have met, you rate as no more than average.

Sue.
    • 1980 posts
    October 19, 2005 3:29 PM BST
    Hi Lucy-

I concede. After reading the links that Alina posted I see I have gone out of my way to defend someone whose views really are for the most part indefensible. Working, as I do, in a field where I mostly only see the bad side of things I sometimes go out of my way to try to see the better angels of someone else's nature (to paraphrase Lincoln), sadly sometimes better isn't all that good. I think Claire's issues run deeper even than gender.

Claire if you are reading this thread I do want you to know I wish you the best of luck. And perhaps, along with the other operations, you will find what the Tinman sought in Oz.

Hugs...Joni