So what if we get read anyway?

• March 7, 2003 12:29 AM GMT
    HI GIRLS,I CAN RELATE TO KELLY.I LIVE IN BUMPKINVILLE TOO!I TEND TO DRESS A LITTLE MORE CAREFULLY THAN THE LOCAL GALS.SCARVES ,MORE JEWELRY ,BETTER MAKE-UP & FASHION SENSE..WHEN I SEE SOMEONE STARING AT ME A LITTLE TOO LONG ,I USUALLY ASK THEM  "WHAS A MATTA,YA NEVA SAW A CITY GIRL BEFORE?" IN MY BEST BROOKLYN VERCE(PICTURE MARISA TOME IN "MY COUSIN VINNY")THAT ALWAYS GETS THEM OFF GUARD AND THEY USUALLY APOLOGIZE FOR STARING..MOST PEOPLE HERE DON'T KNOW THAT A MAN WOULD WEAR WOMANS CLOTHES...MY LADY FRIEND'S HUSBAND JUST RECENTLY MET ME AND SHE NEVER TOLD HIM ABOUT ME.SHE TOLD ME THAT HE SAID I WAS REALLY PRETTY AND WOULD LIKE TO FIX HIS FRIEND UP WITH ME...HER & I LAUGHED WHEN I TOLD HER THAT THE GUY & I COULD HAVE SEX & HE STILL WOULDN'T KNOW THAT I'M T/S..SHE SAID  YOUR PROBABLY RIGHT...FILE IT UNDER THE STUPID FILE...PHYLISS
    • 38 posts
    March 5, 2003 4:39 PM GMT
    I live in a town of three hundred people and a county of only four thousand or so. I know i fail to pass every day.But the times when i dont pass thier are times when people who have known me all my life dont know who I am and that makes me fill good.
                                    kelly
  • February 26, 2003 1:02 PM GMT
    Stevie,

I'm hetero, so I can't say I want you forever, but just to brighten up your day....Oh, my God! Yes, I know you're a tranny, but I love trannies, I think you're gorgeous!

Lisa
    • 195 posts
    January 25, 2003 11:16 PM GMT
    Oh yes they do - I had not thought about the knowing looks and 11 I get all the time in two or three of the London clubs from trannie fanciers. Even had it in the street a couple of times - They are a bit nore upfront here in the UK Stevie - Of course they only say the sacond part to get into your panties - afterwards they mysteriously have to dash - but will call you.

And yes seen 8 often in shops - fashion shops - especially in Manchester - where lots of out of town girls visit and risk shopping because no one there knows them.

• 195 posts
    January 30, 2003 9:00 PM GMT
    Not many regretably - I love in hope - But there are a few nice guys around as well
    • 195 posts
    January 27, 2003 12:47 AM GMT

Try teaching remedial boys who have been kicked out of school, its a bloke then death by Mickey taking, especially when they see your face glowing bright red then you know that you have lost it with them!   ;)

Don't know if they were remedial - Probably - but I was confronted by 4 lads last year in a park - I faced them off - answered their questions - Didn't really get anywhere with them a couple of them who were so bigoted and homophobic I was stunned - but two of them were interested.  

Mosr importantly they did not get the better of me - and I even had local people coming in to my aid telling the kids they were out of order. Come on Girls I know it takes a huge amount of courage - But if you can - Be proud to be Transgender.
    • 195 posts
    January 27, 2003 12:44 AM GMT
    Just visit the Way out Club any Sturday night in London - 11's by the score - or Philbeach Hotel on a Monday night.
    • 195 posts
    January 25, 2003 3:23 PM GMT
    Its interesting that being transgender it is far more easy for me to read another. Even in Thailand where many Tgirls, especially the TS's, are stunningly beautiful, I was able to read them when other guys with me had not a clue - I'm sure there were some that I did not read -

At Transmission in December (A Monthly TG Club in London) there were only two or three TGirls out of 200 that I would not have read in the street.  

So I think most of us have to live with the fact that no matter how good we think we are most of use will be read -

That said 90% of people don't see you anyway - they look though you - those that do look at you fall into a number of categories

1. There's the "cor fancy her look" from a man who likes legs, tits, bum etc. - Might get you read this one - because he was attracted in some way and if he scans to the face... oops - Just ignore it and walk on confidently - Ice Maiden approach - You didn't even notice him look!!

2. There's the "nice outfit" look from a woman - Might scan to your face - but doubtful - she just likes your clothes. You can ignore this one or a simple smile is cool - it will usually get one back even if she reads you, you have impressed her with your dress sence.

3. There's the "She's alright look" from a man out with his partner - You can tell this one because he does not tell her that he looked. Treat this the same as 1 - but you can smile to yourself that he fancied you.

4. There's the she looks alright from a bunch of lads or guys on the building site - usually accompanied by a few cat calls and whistles - You see nothing, hear nothing - head up and... wiggle your ass - but don't look back in case they decide to try and pull.

5. There's the " its a bloke" look from a bunch of lads or girls - same response as above but don't wiggle your ass - unless you feel really confident - when a quick look back over your shoulder and a wave will usually be met with cheers and you can walk on in confidence - they will only come after you if they think you are scared.

6. There's the "Is that a man or a women" look - could be anyone - but you can usually tell because they will appear slightly startled as if brought back to earth - if you stop and turn round you will see them whisper to each other and the other will then covertly try to look back - best way to deal with this is to Pose - instant embarrassment for them. - alternatively follow 5 above.

7. And the new one for me - It's the Celebrity recognition stare - No attempt to disguise the look - they stare intently prodding their companions to confirm that they have just seen someone off the telly - lots of ways to deal with this - but a quick smile is the easiest - that confirms it to them - you can add a wave if you like, or you can just walk on and ignore it - The outrageous approach is to walk right over to them and say hi.

Oh its fun being out and about being read and learning to communicate nonverbally - One important thing to remember - no need to be frightened unless its a dark back street at midnight - in the main they are more frightned of you than you are of them - Lets face it you have far more courage than anyone they know.

• 38 posts
    March 7, 2003 1:54 AM GMT
    BUMPKINVILLE WOULD BE A STEP UP FROM WHERE I LIVE. KELLY
    • 530 posts
    March 6, 2003 9:31 PM GMT

Frankkly, I worry that people will throw rocks at me.

As long as the 'rock' is pure carbon,preferably attached to a nice gold band and a tall dark handsome.....

Sue.X
  • January 26, 2003 5:06 PM GMT
    I must just be living in the wrong place, Rikki. I could use a number eleven right about now! http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fashionlab/Images/Smileys/Laugh01.gif
  • January 31, 2003 1:48 AM GMT
    Like I said, I don't get that reaction very often, but then I don't pay attention to men.  *sigh*
  • January 25, 2003 9:58 PM GMT
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fashionlab/Images/Smileys/Laugh01.gif
  • January 28, 2003 4:16 AM GMT
    Hmm... it might be worth the trip to London. Are any of those elevens genetic females?
    • 530 posts
    January 25, 2003 8:56 PM GMT
    I think you put that last one in just to see if we really did read the whole thing!Nobody like that actually exists.Do they?
    Now I'll get hit with a dozen replies saying 'as it happens,I met......'
    Sue.X
  • January 25, 2003 4:31 PM GMT
    As far as not being constantly noticed, I think pass for the most part (at least I hope so), but you speak the truth. Chances are, most of us don't pass all of the time, possibly not even most of the time, when people take the time to really look.

I've seen most of those looks you listed, too - good descriptions. However, I have a few to add:

8. The "Ah, just another tranny" look from the jaded crowd. You don't even have to deal with this these types, but if you need change for a dollar or directions, these are the people to ask. They're too experienced and/or self-confident to worry about your appearance.

9. The "...and just who does Miss Thang think she is?" look from jealous fellow trannies. Just smile and move on. Consider it a compliment, but don't give anyone a reason to start a scene (or a catfight).

10. The "Oh, PA-LEEZE!" look from holier-than-thou trannies who are obviously unimpressed by your appearance. Multiple choice: You can cry, ignore the look, or steal her date and give her the same look afterwards. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fashionlab/Images/Smileys/Laugh01.gif

11. The "Oh, my God! Yes, I know you're a tranny, but I love trannies, I think you're gorgeous, and I want you NOW and FOREVER!!!" starving zombie stare. Oddly enough, I don't get that look very often on the street. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fashionlab/Images/Smileys/Wink01.gif

• 530 posts
    January 26, 2003 8:20 PM GMT
    Me too also.The only number 11 I get comes with fried rice and mushrooms
    Sue.X