Sizing clothing - mens to ladies sizes

• November 23, 2006 2:32 PM GMT
    Hi all, my first post here, hope it helps!
    Have been looking around for some nice jeans and saw some at "Next" but the sizing confused me. So after a hunt around this site and then the web I found this which is a good guide of sizing for transgender clothes shopping.

http://www.transgendershopping.com/sizes/sizes.htm

Now those jeans may be mine
  • November 24, 2006 5:56 AM GMT
    My size seems to be now 42-40 or L-M. When I started with skirts my skirt size was still 44. I donĀ“t always try everything on, I have quite trained eye to see if it fits or not. Skirts I normally try on in shops.

Laura
    • 2573 posts
    November 23, 2006 10:40 PM GMT
    Sizing women's clothes is very easy....and very difficult.

1. Every manufacturer sizes their clothes slightly differently. Start by having someone take your "girl" measurements.

2. Then check the measurements against the size chart for the place you are buying your clothes from. Most have a website with charts or a catalog with charts. This will ensure you buy the right size for THAT manufacturer.

3. With all that, you still won't know if it fits right till you try it on, but at least you will be down to a size to try and go up or down if it doesn't fit. Every girl has to do this, but they LOVE trying on the clothes instead of fearing it. Some women can't get a proper fit without some tailoring, so a t girl will need that help much more often. A helpful tailor can measure you to start and then fit your clothes for you with a little tailoring if you want a really good fit. Of course, many of us don't require that tailored a look when we dress.

4. The most expensive but best fit is custom tailored/bespoke clothing. Save this for very special outfits like gowns.

5. Fitting shoes is the same problem. Payless Shoes has charts with men and womens sizes AND an inch measurement for exact comparison.