my facial hair

Tags : None
  • I want advice on facial hair removal.Dark shadow is a negative look on my feminine face.But i cant permanently remove it.can waxing or tweezer reduce it or any other way of just lessening it not permanently removing it.
      November 26, 2009 5:41 PM GMT
  • Miss Sudha, I think waxing will hurt... A LOT!! Maybe you can just shave, and then try to cover the shadow with makeup. Fair skin can use orange stick to cover the blueish shadow, but if your skin is dark, then I have no idea what color to use to cover up.
      November 26, 2009 5:58 PM GMT
  • The only thing I tweeze are my eyebrows and that is an on going ritual, trying to tweeze facial hair would be a full time job. I agree with Jellene that the waxing would probably hurt, and there is always the possiblitity of ingrown hairs. Since you can't permanently remove it, I think your best bet would be use a good foundation that would hide the hair.

Jeri
    Jeri Elaine “A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.” - Irina Dunn, 1970 Indecision is the key to flexibility. - unknown
      November 26, 2009 9:28 PM GMT
  • Why can't you permanantly remove it?

Covering shadow is difficult, but there are solutions out there. Dermablend is a good base cover which you can then use a normal foundation over. In the past, when I had facial hair, I used that plus a stick foundation, then used a mineral based powder foundation to set it and further mask everything, it did work pretty well. Thankfully now I just use a little of the mineral based foundation as that's all I need.

You might also find several other hints in the 'Make up' forum. It's worth checking there as you aren't the first to worry about this problem.

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      November 27, 2009 3:23 PM GMT
  • The reason men never wax their faces is because of the NUMBER of hairs per square inch. The high number makes it VERY likely that you will rip off your skin along with the hair.
    Just thought you might wanna know this :)

Stephenie :)
      January 3, 2010 6:19 AM GMT
  • Hi miss Sudha
    I did a post on this topic before. I don't know what you have available there but I use shaving gel that is actually made for your bikini area, It softens your skin and slows the growth. I have also tweezed and waxed parts of my face. While I never had problems with ingrown hairs, I can tell you it is extremely painful. I was able to tweeze my chin and have waxed parts of my cheeks. I wouldn't recommend it but I can't say I would never do it again. I would look into shaving gels that slow growth, and there is another product called ultra hair away that is actually made for body builders. It doesn't work as well as they say in the add but it does help. I use the gel to shave and then the spray after I shave, after about 9 months of this routine I am a much happier girl. Hope this helps.
    Take care and be safe, Briana
    Briana Lynn
      October 12, 2010 2:40 AM BST
  • This is a problem that I know from experience can be overcome without specialized make-up. Firstly, you have to make sure that shave properly, especially in the mustache and beard area; this means shaving up and down and sideways. I think most men just shave in one direction, and even after an apparent close shave you will still be able to feel stubble on your face. Shaving carefully in opposite directions will give a significantly smoother shave. It is also imperative to use a new (unused) high-quality multiblade razor such as a Gillette Mach 3 or Fusion. I then finish off with an electric razor to get an extremely smooth stubble-free (and almost blue-less) finish. Needless to say, don't be don't too vigorous with the shaving action otherwise you'll be left with either razor burn or unsightly cuts. The next step is to apply concealer over the "blue" areas (e.g. Boots No. 7), though as has been suggested, applying red lipstick before the concealer can also assist in neutralizing the beard shadow. After all of this, apply liquid foundation and finally powder, and you should then be free of the beard shadow for at least six hours or so. Camera flashes are often good at emphasizing the underlying blueness of the beard area, and so you may well actually look better in real life than on a digital photo.

Apologies if I've told you things you already know or have just repeated what others have essentially said, but short of laser hair removal I think there is no other way and the approach I have outlined above works fine for me. As has been pointed out, waxing on the face is a definite no-no, as are hair removal creams.

April 18, 2011 5:12 AM BST
  • Hi.

I follow the rules about shaving in all directions but still end up with facial hairs that I just can not remove without lacerations to my face.

Luckily I am not your heavily testosteroned individual so with just a small ammout of undercoat:-) I can hide my shadow quite well.

I have just returned from a Laser Hair clinic which was very informative.

Unfortunately I have quite a lot of grey hair especially around my chin but my cheek hair is good enough to take laser treatment so I shall give it a whirl.

Isn't taking hormones also supposed to help reduce hair generally? Although I hope this is not entirely true because I don't want to lose anymore head hair.

Best wishes,

Sarah 

This post was edited by Sarah Winfield at August 30, 2011 11:39 AM BST
      August 30, 2011 11:37 AM BST
  • First off I'd save your money on laser and go for electrolysis instead; permanent, guaranteed to work, and effective on all types of hair.

Hormones will most likely not make a big difference to your facial hair, and are even less likely to cause hair loss where you don't want it. Finasteride (not a hormone but often prescribed to TS's) should in fact prevent any (further) hair loss on your head.

I get Vaniqa on the NHS, though you will probably need to be attending a gender clinic to get this as it's prescribed to women only. It slows facial hair growth, after time to a point where it is quite manageable, though some form of hair removal will be needed. I pluck with tweezers, after several years on Vaniqa I only need do about 5 or 10 minutes a day, some days I don't bother. Dark hairs are now extremely rare, what's left is all pale, thin and  downy, and is easily dealt with. I haven't shaved for about 6 years, I don't get stubble or shadow. Joy.

There are no electrolysis places in my home town, I tried IPL and laser for a year and half, had to travel 40 miles each time, spent a small fortune, it made little difference and the slight reduction I got wasn't permanent. My facial hair wasn't ever very dark though. Vaniqa is a pretty good alternative to electrolysis or laser.

Best of luck in your quest!

xx

August 30, 2011 11:01 PM BST
  • 1 146

My experience , having had IPL laser over last 9 months  , and hormones 8 months or so , and tweezering- Is that they all have an effect ,but the effectiveness depends  a lot of Personal factors  age , hair colour, hair colour distribution,[ not forgetting Time and Money also] .

Truth to tell theres not going to definite advice for a particular method, ..maybe you just try them all .

My 2 penneth worth ,

It all takes Time,- to make and see the changes.[Hair Growth cyles are 10weeks long I believe]

Changes are subtle , what you put in you get out 

-effects are cumulative and progressive if you stick at it, in general weakening the Hair and giving rise to the more manageable  vellus [ soft thin hair] over time , so shaving is not as severe.

I now find tweezing hairs out a lot easier than previously .

A subtle  benefit is that around the Lips , reduction of all those thick hairs makes the  lips become fuller

<p>Donna_V</p>
      August 31, 2011 7:30 AM BST
  • I met a girl who spent $8100 on laser 5 years ago to get her face completely cleared...she is now going the same electrolygist I am and is starting from scratch...ALL her hairs grew back in that time...as Lucy said, if you want permanent removal, go electro...laser will work, but only for a while, and only on lighter skin and dark hairs.  And if you get electro., get the "blend", a combo of thermal and RF...newest units blow a cooling, soothing stream of air over your skin while it's being done...pain?  Overrated....on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being nuclear explosion and 1 being unnoticeable, I'd say for me at least, it is mostly 1's and 2's.  Have not felt anything worse than a 3 or 4 yet, and she has hit every part of my neck, chin, jaw, and face...you must commit once you begin, or it will take forever.  It will take long enough as it is though...I'm looking at 15-16 more months max...I LOVE the results!  

<p>Traci</p>
      September 1, 2011 4:44 AM BST
  • Electrolysis is the best technique, as there is no "almost" involved!
    xx
      July 6, 2012 4:28 PM BST
  • It appears that a comprehensive reply I posted earlier today has either been deleted or I did something wrong; probaly the latter. So here is my hapeworth again.
    I am having both laser (I2PL) and electrolysis treatments.
    Firstly the laser treatment. I have had 2 sessions and the first one hurt like hell. In fact I cried for 30 minutes afterwards both from the excrutiating pain and from my emotions. But it was the pain mostly. What ever you do apply some sort of pain relief cream eg EMLA. For my first treatment I didn't but for my second I simply had to and whilst it still hurt it was at least bearable.
    My laser clinician has been brutally honest with me, explaining that since most of my hair is now grey the laser will not work. However she has indicated what she is doing should make a difference to the shadow above my top lip and around my chin. I am determined to have up to 6 sessions and then reappraise the treatment and its effectiveness.
    Following my initial laser session I decided it was necessary for me to investigate electrolysis and I have now had 4 sessions of 1/2 hour each.
    It is a lot less painful than the laser and so far I have not needed any pain relief other than what my Electrolysist applies.
    The feeling is one of a very sharp needle being inserted into the follicle and then a short discomfort before she tweezers out the follicle.
    For what I am paying for my laser treatment I could have 8 or 9 electrolysis sessions however I believe the laser covers a larger area than would the electrolysis.
    The laser treatment is a scatter gun approach to my facial hair removal whereas the electrolysis is more a targeted approach and I am happier with the electrolysis than the laser because I actually witness the follicle being extracted.
    As I said, just my opinion.
    SarahW
    XXX
      July 7, 2012 8:56 PM BST
  • Hi, I just want to share my IPL treatment experience... I made just 20 sessions of IPL light [?], its like a laser... I started last year, I dont know if was in august or september. Its the cheap treatment... Now I dont have facial hair in the cheeks and in my neck, a few under my chin and a few in the lateral... My mustache and chin are now losing more and more, but I need (I think, 5~6 more sessions) to make that area clear.
      October 8, 2012 5:02 PM BST
  • Luckily my hair went grey at an early age and now at 40 my beard has gone grey too.

This means I have no deep dark beard roots to cover up. Thank the Lord for old age huh!
      December 15, 2012 3:17 PM GMT