Christianity and "Her name was Steven"

• 2463 posts
    March 15, 2010 12:40 AM GMT
    My point is a simple one, and that you are making sweeping generalizations based upon the actions of one individual. I can tell you now that a friend of mine, who is a devout Mormon, came to support and accept me more and more because he once saw how a TG person was attacked. Thankfully, she was not seriously hurt, but it helped him to see that we are people.

The person who did the firing was a jerk, to be sure. My friend Gina, who is a very devout Christian, accepts me, as does Larry, who is a diehard conservative. I am also disgusted how the religious right feels they can order us about because of the Bible, which is a flawed book, no doubt, and we all know why.

Let's just concentrate on the jerks and leave the others alone. They don't deserve it.
    • 2573 posts
    March 15, 2010 5:31 AM GMT
    Janelle,
    Christians like to say: "The Devil can quote scripture". Perhaps it was the Devil in disguise as a Christian. Putting all Christians in one pot is like others putting all TGs in one pot. At least consider using a smaller pot and refer to a group like right-wing, transphobic, fundamentalist Christians instead of just Christians. RTFC's?
    • 2358 posts
    March 15, 2010 1:32 PM GMT
    I'm with Penny on this one, the majority are being judged by the behavour of a minority, you don't have to be a christian to be bigotted, its just those particular bigots can use their christian label to gain validation for their bigottry, because bigotry on religous grounds is exempt from the Sexual Discrimination act and the gender recognition Act.

Cristine.
    • 2463 posts
    March 16, 2010 1:49 PM GMT
    I was raised Catholic, but these days I subscribe more to Eastern spirituality. In our views we are concerned with making ourselves a better person in order to be a better person to/for others. To paraphrase Lord Krishna, I am responsible to action but not entitled to the fruits of my action. 2000 years later Jesus made a similar comment about charity.

As for the Bible, what we have now is not what we should have. Many vital tracts were left out. Read "Beyond Belief" by Flaine Pagels and why the gospel according to Thomas - as in Doubting Thomas - was left out.

Christians aren't the only ones who pervert their religion in order to oppress others. We know that already. I personally do not go out in the world worrying if some jerk doesn't like me, as long as they don't try to physicaly hurt me.
    • 1017 posts
    March 18, 2010 10:28 PM GMT
    Hi Marsha,

Not to dispute your basic point, but I need to point out a factual error:

"Rosa Parks was trying to blend in."

To the contrary, she was specifically picked by a civil rights group to challenge the Jim Crow laws, in this case the rules about blacks on buses. Earlier instances of similar/identical discrimination were passed over til a suitable symbol, like Ms. Parks, was found.

I admire Rosa Parks and her courage, but she was definitely not trying to "blend in".

Best,
    Melody
    • 1017 posts
    March 18, 2010 11:45 PM GMT
    Hi Marsha,

She was carefully picked for exactly the reasons you say. The mythology that has developed after the fact (certainly promoted to by the NAACP) was to present a strong Black woman standing up to discrimination. That is certainly true, but it was carefully staged for an national audience.

Again, none of this detracts from your point or her courage (she was certainly in real physical danger.) But it was a "set-up" and designed to appeal to the national press outside the South. In my mind a very good thing.

Sometimes manipulating the media is a very effective tactic, by both the Right and the Left.

Best,
    Melody
    • 2573 posts
    March 20, 2010 7:57 AM GMT
    Marsha,

I found it interesting that, on the day you wrote about Rosa Parks, two gay, military officers chained themselves to the White House fence to protest "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". The wore their uniforms. It was a dramatic gesture. Often these images have great power, as did Rosa Parks. To my mind, these two are heroes. They swore to defend and uphold the Constitution of the United States of America against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC. And that is exactly what they are doing, defending human rights in the broadest intention and the clear path of change that has occurred over time to that document. It reminds me of Billy Mitchell, an earlier military hero who bucked the system, at great price, to be sure his country was secure and "defended".

"I, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the president of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

As far as you hurting your family. It is their choice to be hurt, or not, by anything in their lives. Not yours....unless you can alter emotions through some magic I am unfamiliar with.