Glasses

• February 16, 2003 9:43 AM GMT
    Hi Sarah,

I've been thinking about the same problem because I need glasses for driving.  I seem to remember going into Boots a few years ago and they had three ranges of frames - mens, womens and trannies, sorry I mean unisex!  I don't know if they still do the same.

Lisa
  • February 15, 2003 8:46 AM GMT
    Hi Jane and Heather

Thanks for the advice. More by luck than judgement, I have no taste, my latest set of frames seem to work in either mode.

Hugs

Sarah
    • 539 posts
    February 15, 2003 4:25 AM GMT
    I only wear glasses when driving, so they haven't been a priority, but it is time to replace the ones I have now.  I have been wearing them for 15 years and although the prescription is still good, they are ugly and worn out.

Since I do all of my shopping en femme, I will buy glasses that way, so I will know that they will go with my look.  When I finally get around to it (don't hold your breath - I am lazy), I will let everyone know how it goes.

Heather H.
  • August 1, 2002 8:05 PM BST
    Thanks Sue

It's the usual problem, getting up the nerve to go in and buy women's glasses for myself. It's also difficult to see whether they are going to suit without the appropriate hair style.

I know all that you and others say about shops just wanting to make a sale. But knowing and doing are two different things.

One of these days I will do it; just not today  ;D

Hugs

Sarah
    • 530 posts
    August 1, 2002 12:27 AM BST
    Though not a wearer myself,what about using something like the Specsavers 'Buy one get one free' to get a second pair for Sarah? I know others who simply go and fill their prescripton that way.Retailers only want a sale,and there's no such thing as bad publicity.
    Sue.X
    • 456 posts
    March 6, 2003 6:59 PM GMT
    Sorry girls  as far as glasses are concerned I have the best deal my SO is an optician and I get them made especially for me. Otherwise it can be quite difficult. My So does say that you can go into any optician and have them make up your prescription to your order with any frame - it will just cost you the same amount. Of course if you are tring to be secretive this does not help at all but any optician in the UK can make up your prescription.

You can have your eyes tested anywhere and then take the result - the prescription - to any other optician to have them made up.
  • July 31, 2002 8:14 PM BST
    Hi girls

Some advice please. I have now become a glasses wearer so I'm interested in how other girls, especially in the UK, get appropriate glasses.

There is an Internet supplier (specs2go) that supply cheap glasses but their frames are so limited that there are only two feminine frames. I've bought a pair and whilst the prescription is fine the glasses don't suit me at all.

Contact lenses are out because I don't like putting things in my eyes and I need a varifocal prescription.

Help

Sarah
  • March 2, 2003 8:34 AM GMT
    Thanks girls

Jayne

That's just like your mummy sewing a name tag in your clothes. ;D ;D ;D

Katherine

I know you can get varifocal lenses and I don't understand how they work but, even so, I still don't want to put something in my eyes.

Still, for me, problem solved.

Thanks again

Hugs

Sarah
    • 38 posts
    March 1, 2003 10:48 PM GMT
    You can now get varifocal contact lenses, the wonders of modern science, so that should not be a problem, and you should try lenses you get used to them, at first I couldn't stand putting them In but I got used to them and it is a pain not having any at the moment.

Hugs,

Katherine
    • 1083 posts
    February 17, 2003 8:42 PM GMT
    Hi luvs!

I am also in the glasses stage--too many years of anti-seizure drugs have made so light sensitive that I can't even walk down off the stage when I get done singing without mine. (The prescription is weak, but the tint job...!)

When it came that time, my SO and I went to the eyeglass place. Hundreds of frames all around. I finally chose a pair of femme frames that I liked, and took them over to her to check out. She gave her approval (she was paying for them, so I thought it was only fair) and they installed the lenses and off we went. I had my glasses, tinted lenses, femme frames, and they worked out fine. End of the matter, right?

Not quite.

Now for the rest of the story...

It wasn't until about a week later that I was looking them over, and took a good look at things like frame number, manufacturer, and so forth. When I saw it, I was blown away.

See, I was looking for something that would frame my face gently. Femme was all I wanted for my frames. I didn't really care who made them, all I wanted to see in regular lighting, and not look like a man in drag wearing them. Not that tough an assignment, right?

Here's what I got...

The model number: T-1000.
    The model name: Eye-Q, 140mm brown.
    The manufacturer: Sakura.

Talk about a pair of frames made just for me! ;D  

If I can find a pair of glasses that work, so can you.

Go for it, Girls!

Luv 'n hugs (in dim/no light, please!),

Jayne Sakura
    "Almost-Angel, T-Girl Genius, and Ultra-Flirt"
    • 539 posts
    April 11, 2003 7:39 PM BST
    I finally went to see the eye doctor. Since my insurance is still in my male name, I had to explain the situation. I went en femme and had no problems - I got the eye exam and picked out some frames. They need to be ordered and I should get them in a few days. Everyone there treated me like they would any other paying customer, and the optician (a woman) was very helpful in working with me to pick out feminine frames to go with my look.

As others have experienced, most businesses are happy to take our money and don't really care what we look like. Going en femme to pick out frames is definitely the best way.

Heather H.