Shopping Tips

• 1083 posts
    February 3, 2003 4:21 PM GMT
    But I'm dammed if I buy clothes that don't fit. Can anyone help me on finding the courage to try the ladies fitting room?

Anessa, hon:

Let's take on the courage thing first. If you have done all the planning, etc., and have a fair idea of what you want, then you are just gonna have to dig down deep. We have all been there. If the saleslady hassles you, then you are just going to have to take your chances...or take your business elsewhere. Sometimes, I think we make more of this issue than needs be. One thing that would help: Are you going en femme or in drab? If you are going in drab, then there shouldn't be too much hassle. If you are going en femme, and you look really good, they won't even notice. If you look like a man in drag, they will almost certainly stop you.

As for clothes that don't fit: I have said before (and doubtless, will say again): NEVER take the tags off and toss your receipts until you know for sure that something fits!!! If you have to take stuff home to try on, okay...if there is a problem, then you can return things with fewer problems. I have had to return things from dresses to makeup to belts; I have never had a problem when I follow this.

Hope this helps...

Luv 'n hugs,

Jayne Sakura
    "Almost-Angel, T-Girl Genius, and Ultra-Flirt"
    • 9 posts
    March 3, 2002 2:36 AM GMT
    I recently went into Sears and picked up a nice blouse, some matching skirts and lingere and beutiful gold sequened jacket and some light jewelry and had no problems.

As I checked out, the female clerk lamented to me how "Her boyfriend would never buy nice clothes for me. Why can't i find a guy who'd do this?" hehe be careful what you wish for miss... if only she knew...

I now wonder if every guy who buys female clothes is buying them for himself or does anyone actually buy non-lingere for thier girlfriend/wife?

Maybe its a all a myth and conspiracy (helped along by me) to hide crossdressing. "what this sexy bra? no its for my girlfriend..." yeah right.

Smiles,
      Darla
    • 430 posts
    May 13, 2004 12:18 AM BST
    I just wanted to add that most of the shop assistants I found fit into two catergeries.

1. APATHY, they are just doing a job and don't really give a shit. They are good as they don't judge they just do the least they can to keep their jobs. Making a fuss over a tranny is to much trouble. Its just a job, who cares.

2. Great, I think this is easy to explain. The great ones will bend over backwards to help you find the right size, style and price. They do it because they are either curious in you and want to show you support as a sister. Or they know that you will probably spend more or be more loyal to the store as you have a good experience there and may even tell other Trannies about their store.

I've not once [and I do alot of shopping] had a problem with staff. Now I'm the type of girl who will get the manager if needed. I will only deal with the manager when I go to the motor vehicle registery [as the normal staff are in competant{in the NT}] So I'm not shy. I wasn't always like this. It was relised after shop after shop I got what I wanted and no hasstle. I tried stuff on [drab or not] I asked for other sizes and help when needed. I've even asked for their opinion on how it looked.

The only problem was in my head. The thing that helped me the most was finding out that I wasn't the centre of the universe. Therefore I came and went from peoples lives as easily as they did from mine. Your fears are in YOUR head and if you act like your cool with things they have no reason to be any different with you than any guy who really is buying for his girlfriend. [it does happen!]

Sorry for being so long winded, but I live to shop and want everyone to be able to do the same and not let fear get in the way.
  • May 17, 2004 3:55 PM BST
    I do most of my shopping at Argos , i just hand over my money and they hand over the goods. Its a shame Argos Additions got bought out and made mail only. When i shop my fear comes from people i know seeing me, but my sister said for me to go Manchester on the train and go crazy. One other thing i noticed when shopping is that if you go into more older womans shops you'll hardly if ever get stared at compared to if you go more fashionable stores full of younger kids, they point and laugh and act tough in front of their friends. I remember 1 time i got the couage to walk in a shop and was aout to go upto the assistant and ask advice then saw 2 girls laughing at me so i just walked straight out. I assure you that wont happen again tho! after all the crap thats happened from my parents finding out people laughing at me is nothing.
    • 530 posts
    February 3, 2003 7:19 PM GMT
    I think I've said this before,but it bears repeating.If en femme,and passable,there should be no problem using the ladies rooms.If in drab,you can still try things on,but they will prefer you to change in the mens.Don't rock the boat.
    Many shoe shops are now selfserve,and the assistants only look at the price to ring up.
    Don't bother going out if you look like a man in drag,it's not worth the hassle.
    The sales people are there to sell,not make judgement. Smile and be confident.
    Easy for me to say now.I remember how hot those shops were the first time.I thought my face was melting!But afterwards,I wondered what I had been worried about.So will you.
    'Have a nice day'

Sue.XX
  • February 19, 2002 12:19 AM GMT
    You can always pretend to be out shopping for someone else... Alot of men buy clothes for their girlfriends. It might not work for shoes though...  :-/

You can also go to stores that have both male and female clothes, pick some of both and go try them on, then you leave the male clothes behind and pay for the female clothes. It takes some courage, but its worth it since trying the clothes is far better than just "knowing" your size...

// Jo
  • February 18, 2002 9:47 PM GMT
    Two words: Thrift store. It's cheap, it's easy, and the people there are usually non-judgemental.
  • October 14, 2002 12:04 PM BST
    I recently went into a ladies clothing shop to buy something for a second time.

I was lucky that the shop assistant was working there who helped me when I brought a pair of pants, because I didn't know what size I was & she let me try two sizes on.

When there was no one else in the shop except me & the assistant I got my nerve up & asked her if she could help me find something casual under $70 .

The assistant was very helpful, she show me around some casual clothes & she also gave me the next catalogue for the shop which hadn't come out yet.

I finally brought a black rib singlet & a black A-line skirt that the assistant/manageress was wearing at the time & it looked good on her.

I have not stopped thinking about that day & I can't wait until I go to the shop again to look or buy something else
  • February 20, 2002 8:23 PM GMT
    I think Mikaela is right...
    The first times I went shopping I really thought that everyone would stare at me and just magically KNOW that I was shopping for myself...
    If you have the mind for it and dont look like a scared rabbit then there shouldnt be any problem at all....
    It might even be better to ask the salespersons for help even....

Hugz,
    Jo
  • February 19, 2002 6:47 AM GMT
    Actually, I've never had anyoneask me the purpose for which I was buying any articles of clothing... I guess I've just been lucky in getting salespeople who just don't care...