Trannyweb Re-design - your input needed

• 2627 posts
    April 1, 2005 6:04 PM BST
    I was trying to write in my blog. The new pop down menus kept popping down cutting me off. I'd type out a few words, look up & only 1 or 2 letters there. Any idea why. I made sure my pointer was clear but it kept doing it. Has anyone else had this happen or just me.
    • 2127 posts
    April 1, 2005 7:11 PM BST
    There are many problems with using frames in a site like this. One of the main ones is to do with finance. Every time a user refreshes a page or moves from one page to another, a different ad appears and that's how it's meant to be.

If each user looks at say, ten pages (and in fact most look are far more on each visit), putting the header in a frame that doesn't change would mean that out ad impressions would be divided by ten. If that happened, the few advertisers we already have would run a mile, at a time when we are already in the midst of our largest funding crisis ever.

What we need is for more people to click on those Google ads and for more banner impressions and clicks. That's the only way we'll have a hope of attracting new advertisers.

In any case, the header part of the page is only about 23k so even with a dial=up connection it should load fairly quickly.

Having said all that, there is one ray of hope. Our new navigation system is able to serve a different header to people with different membership levels.

So conceivably, we could offer Full Members an ad free experience while still showing ads to non-members and basic members.

I think that's something we can offer a bit further down the line but perhaps not right now.

Hugs,

Katie x
  • April 2, 2005 3:10 PM BST
    Hi Girls,

Claire, The test page looks great and I like to colours. Will it be difficult to create Sub-Menus which pop off to the side of the main menus?

Hugs,

Katherine

P.S. silly American spell checker 'colours' is perfectly correct