Monday 20 June GLBT movies

• 2573 posts
    June 20, 2006 3:14 AM BST
    LIFETIME Channel has two movies on tonight.

THE TRUTH ABOUT JANE - Lesbian High School girl

A GIRL LIKE ME: THE GWEN ARUJO STORY - A woman (Mercedes Ruehl) crusades for justice after four young men savagely kill her son (J.D. Pardo) who lives as a female.

• 128 posts
    June 24, 2006 11:03 AM BST
    I watched both.VERY moving! Loved'em both
    • 2573 posts
    June 24, 2006 7:01 PM BST
    I watched both too, but only had one tape and so only taped A GIRL LIKE ME. I would have liked to have both. The issues are parallel and I find that it opens up my mind and heart to see the issues of others in the GLBT community. Touching and a bit scary. It's been a long time since I was afraid of being attacked, but it's clear that the odds and viciousness are worse when I'm Wendy than they were as Him. It makes one think hard. In some ways and circumstances we really do have to be more careful, while we are out, than even a gg does. It also raises serious questions about safe behavior when one is fortunate enough to pass well and when is it time to be "honest" with those who are attracted to you. "We" (not me, because there is not enough alcohol in California to get a TA THAT drunk) need to be careful to not only avoid inflicting serious psychological trauma on an innocent heterosexual male, but to create a fear-anger response so strong that "We" expose ourselves to risk of a serious attack. While Gwen's story is tragic, I doubt the majority of us would ever fool a male well enough to create such an explosive situation. Still, just being out en femme seems to be more than enough excuse for some males to react in a hostile, or even violent, manner.