Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Transgender Movies » A Star Wars explanation, please...

A Star Wars explanation, please...

• Well, I'm a year too late, but I can answer! I'm a sci-fi fan... ^w^

1) C3-PO. It's been answered, but my two bits would be that C3-PO was just a skeleton model. Time and mass production would've ruined his uniqueness to Anakin.
    2)"Moff" is a title within The Empire that is synonymous with "Govenor." A Grand Moff would kinda be like a Govenor compared to Mayors, if The Empire was a democracy...
    3) As for hand gestures, The Force is a power that flows through almost all things in all places. Just like you use your brain to pull tendons and flex muscles in your arm to move it, Force-Users can extend their will to the Force. Hand-gestures are a way of allowing someone to cope with the massive power of telekinesis and mind-reading... It's like people who talk while using hand gestures.
    4) Wendy got things dead on the money there. But- Another perspective would be that only worlds that could be inhabited by humans would be colonized.
    5) As for Han not believing in the Force, as a Non-Sensitive, he can't feel it himself. For all he knows, Jedi could be psychics spouting borderline religious non-sense about some great power that exists in all things.
    6) Yeah. I'm a nerd. I even play The Old Republic Online and beat all the KOTOR games. :3
    ~K
      March 5, 2012 1:53 AM GMT
    "Will someone get this walking carpet out of my way?"
    I am the itch, after it was scratched.
      September 22, 2010 4:49 PM BST
  • "Goodness had nothing to do with it"
      July 21, 2010 6:43 PM BST
    Hi Doanna,

"Great, kid. Don't get c*cky."

Best,
    Melody
    <p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      July 21, 2010 5:05 PM BST
  • Hey "Big Boy",
    Is that a Light Saber in Your Pocket? ...or are you just "Happy to See ME?"

"and my needs entwined, like ribbons of light...and I came through the doorway...some where... in the night"
    <p>Doanna Highland</p>
      July 21, 2010 4:47 PM BST
  • I started this thread in 2008 and it's still going strong!
    You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant.
      July 21, 2010 1:25 PM BST
  • Yes and how come nobody whatever planet they come from has ever gone to the toilet?
      July 21, 2010 10:17 AM BST
    Just a note...in the first movie, Tarrkin's title is "Grand Moff". I don't know what it is but it sounds impressive, or something you'd mumble when hugging your grandmother.

Z
    I am the itch, after it was scratched.
      July 21, 2010 7:29 AM BST
  • I know some of these have been answered pretty closely but I did this reading the posts one at a time so....here is my take.

1. C3PO did not have an outer shell when Annikan left him. They comment on this as they part. Also, it's kind of like saying why didn't Darth Vader recognize his Volkswagon. Mass Production. He was built from parts. I THINK we see one or two other droids of that model in other movies of the series.

2. Grand Moff Tarkin was the Governor of the Imperial Outland Regions, while Darth Vader was the personal assistant to the Emperor. Like a Staff Officer, Vader was out of direct line of command. Grand Moff (the only one) Tarkin had some authority even over Vader. He was the heir apparent to Emperor Palpitine and potentially Vader's future, sole boss (unless Vader's plans to use Luke to overthrow Palpatine succeeded first.)

3 Ask, Yoda, even he uses a hand gesture to lift Luke's ship from the swamp on Dagobah. This is not unusual as a mental focus technique in martial arts/Zen. I seem to recall seeing similar gestures, related to Force use, throughout the series. Also, think of the damage one could conceivably do to oneself by attempting the throat squeeze with one's hand in one's pocket.

4. Space suits make it hard to recognize the actors. This and cost were undoubtably why STARSHIP TROOPERS were not wearing Marauder, Scout and Command suits in the movie. Hallways are wide on the Enterprise because they had to be to get the camera dollies up and down them.

I saw Star Wars at the studio theater, before it was released, as Press. The sound system was mind blowing and state of the art. That was my "Lois Lane" period. Also, there is a saying: Lie down with scriptwriters, wake up with tickets"

"A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      April 18, 2009 3:31 AM BST
    Mere
    All I have to say is "May the Swartz be with you." Harry?

hugs
    Gracie
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      April 17, 2009 8:22 PM BST
  • Please.............the Star Wars exhibit left the museum 16 months ago and I am still trying to recover. Now I have to worry about that damn Harry Potter exhibit that opens in less than two weeks....................

I think I will need therapy to get me through this...............
      April 17, 2009 4:05 PM BST
  • Ive got a smashing response to why Han didnt believe in the force, but I tried to post it and was told the post had "unacceptable content" though it didnt tell me what that content may be and for the life of me I cant figure it out to try and edit it.
      April 17, 2009 12:41 PM BST
  • The best, still unanswered by all of my super-obsessed Star Wars fans, question I have ever seen about Star Wars is: Why does Han Solo claim to not believe in the Force when he surely would have been alive (and probably about ten) when the Jedi fell. He clearly would have known all about the Jedi, but it's never explained why he doubts the existence of the Force.
    It's a bittersweet symphony, this life.
      April 13, 2009 1:59 AM BST
  • People did answer the question! Thanks!

Yes, I was aware of Lucas not able to make a Flash Gordon movie and Star Wars was the result. He also admitted that the inspiration for Star Wars came from Kurosawa's "Hidden Fortress."

I showed some of the old Flash Gordon serials the other day and people did note the similarities between the space ship fights.
      February 6, 2009 9:38 PM GMT
    Mere
    Reading over this thread - I think your original questions have not been answered. (Odd-isn't it?)
    I'd say you're best answer is that it's "artistic licence" or maybe the editors cut out the explainations.
    Did you know that George Lucas wanted to do a Flash Gorden movie but couldn't get the rights so he wrote Star Wars?
    hugs
    Gracie
      February 6, 2009 3:27 PM GMT
  • That's so true! I remember seeing an off set photo of him wearing them in a fan magazine I used to buy.

What? Well, I was only 13 at the time! lol

Lynn - I looked at that link again, it makes me laugh every time!

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      February 6, 2009 3:21 PM GMT
  • Bit of trivia for you...I read that in the Deathstar council chamber scenes, Peter Cushing was mostly wearing carpet slippers out of shot because he found his boots too uncomfortable for long periods of filming ;)

Sandra
      February 5, 2009 10:04 PM GMT
  • Nikki- loved the link,now I'll have to go back there and look at the other vids!

er.....may the fart be with you?!

ciao

Lynn H.
    "It ain't what you do,it's the way that you do it............and that's what gets results!"
      February 5, 2009 6:33 PM GMT
  • Hi--

Bridge from Star Trek to Star Wars. It's the same set of answers, really.

The easy answer for why they'd always use Class-M (Oxygen) planets: cost-effectiveness.

Think about it: a breathing device isn't cheap, can give out at a moment's notice (based on the need to advance the plot), and to find intelligent life on a class-J (gas-giant) or class-O (mostly water, little/no land) planet might be tough. (Although you can make the same argument about the life on Earth, I suppose.)

Plus, it saves the fx dept a wad of cash not having to create a new enviro-suit and all the aliens can have two functional legs, as opposed to say, fins.

Just my two quatloos worth....

Peace and Long Life,

Mina Sakura
    (Who looks hot in a Star Trek Original Series women's uniform)
    Living as the woman I am!
      February 5, 2009 6:27 PM GMT
    Mere
    I'm sure you'll rush to see H S musical #3.
    Try not to get hives from all that sugar.
    hugs
    Gracie
      October 26, 2008 7:04 PM GMT
  • I sure do appreciate the responses I received!

Now, can we get back to talking about High School Musical?
      October 26, 2008 12:24 PM GMT
  • What can I say?

I got more Star Wars Geek in me than anyone I know. LOL.

Ask me a Star Wars-y question, you'll get an answer! HAHA!
      October 25, 2008 11:12 PM BST
    Well Mere I hope Jennie has answered all your questions.
    I'm happy too - not that I was losing sleep over it but - you know....hate loose end dangling like that.
    May the Schwartz be with you all
    hugs
    Gracie
      October 25, 2008 10:09 PM BST
  • Vader wouldn't have recognized C-3PO for 3 primary reasons.

1) C-3PO was a common model of protocol droid. While Anakin might have made him initially, his main identifying features (skin plating) were modified repeatedly, as was Im sure many of his components over the course of his "life".

2) C-3POs memory was wiped following Ep3. His body was constantly being changed but so was his "mind". All recollection of Vader as Anakin was gone. He knew only Vader as Vader.

3) C-3PO as a droid was susceptible to the force, but not OF the force. He had no midi-chlorians (bah!) and was therefore not able to project his own force energy, unlike Obi-Wan.

In the end, Vader would have no reason to think that THIS protocol droid, out of all the millions of similar models spread out across the universe had any connection to him in any way.

As for the Empires power structure, Vader worked directly beneath the Emperor. He was in charge of his own star destroyer but was not in charge of the Imperial Navy.
      October 24, 2008 11:30 PM BST
  • I hope this makes you giggle as much as it did me.

http://www.youtube.com/wa[...]EK-IEzw

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      October 24, 2008 8:15 PM BST