Are Drag Queens really TGs?

• 2358 posts
    June 29, 2010 6:51 PM BST
    Mary I was quite content to add my two pence worth of what I know and my experience of DQ's, probably knowing better than most, having actually shared a dressing room with some at times. whoever brought up the law issue, after the backwards and forwardings gettng of topic by bringing rights etc into it, I was just trying to point out the misconceptions of UK. law. A woman being a plumber or a bricklayer does'nt automatically make her a lesbian cos she wears boots and overalls see my point. same goes with people who wear dresses, does'nt make them automatically TG'd.
    • 1017 posts
    June 29, 2010 7:05 PM BST
    Hi Cristine,

Thank you. You've summed up the point I was making (er...suggesting) at the beginning of this thread. I suspect many (maybe most) DQ's would not self-identify as being TG. As for Danny LaRue, Ru Paul, or Divine, who knows unless they've said so publicly.

Best,
    Melody
  • June 29, 2010 7:56 PM BST
    Danny La Rue was certainly gay although he appeared to deny this for most of his life. I can only ascribe this to his having grown up at a time when to be homosexual was to be a criminal, this seems incredible now but it's within living memory of a lot of gay men.
    He certainly wasn't TG and probably wasn't even a CD'r because as Cristine previously stated he kept his (very glamorous) female persona for his incredibly successful stage act. His description of himself was "A comic in a frock."
  • June 29, 2010 7:56 PM BST
    Danny La Rue was certainly gay although he appeared to deny this for most of his life. I can only ascribe this to his having grown up at a time when to be homosexual was to be a criminal, this seems incredible now but it's within living memory of a lot of gay men.
    He certainly wasn't TG and probably wasn't even a CD'r because as Cristine previously stated he kept his (very glamorous) female persona for his incredibly successful stage act. His description of himself was "A comic in a frock."
    • 404 posts
    June 29, 2010 8:26 PM BST
    Talk about making mountains out of molehills.............

Are Drag Queens TG? Some are,some aren't, some are gay, some are bi,some even marry and start families,some quite happily wear 'drag' if the mood takes them, for others,'Drag' is simply working clothing same as other people wear boiler suits or camouflage suits,uniforms etc etc

Danny La Rue....died 31.5.2009

cheers,

Lynn H.
    • 1912 posts
    June 29, 2010 9:02 PM BST
    Penny, I think you are getting confused on what harassment is and is not. I think what Doanna and myself have been trying to say is that harassment is not a single incident of name calling, instead it a an ongoing thing.
    "Under the United States Code Title 18 Subsection 1514(c)1. Harassment is defined as "a course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such a person and serves no legitimate purpose".

So with that legal description, you see it is a "course" of conduct. So if someone was to continually use derogatory statements to another then you would cross into what is deemed harassment and legal action could be taken.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 871 posts
    June 29, 2010 9:39 PM BST
    Hiya Everyone - Sorry if this thread is hijacked but only a little! lol - I'm not sure how much distance is left in the harassment law topic but I would be happy to continue on a new thread if someone were to maybe create one, and paste over the conversation?

Marsha, your last post makes a lot more sense than saying it is perfectly legal to call someone a dirty nigger. Your last post pretty much describes the section 5 public order act, as pretty much did Doanna’s last post.

The police in the UK using the section 5 law can arrest someone on the third occasion of any abusive comment during a situation. ie warning, reminder, arrest.

Looking back at our conversation I understand that we were both right but unfortunately just misunderstanding each other. In the UK someone would not get arrested for being abusive to someone once but also in the USA it is not perfectly legal to be abusive to someone.

Have we now understood each other?
    Love
    Penny
    x

• 1912 posts
    June 29, 2010 10:47 PM BST
    Hugs Penny, I think both sides often think the other side knows what we take for granted and obviously that is not always the case. As far as this thread being hijacked all I can say is "so what". Are the grammar police or forum police going to slap our wrists? First off this is related to the topic of the thread, and second, no one is stopping anyone else from starting a different thread. I think threads that go off in different directions invite more participants because it appears to me many gals are reluctant to start a new thread on their own but will toss in a comment here and there if an existing thread catches their eye. That kind of goes with my statement in another thread recently where I said the only dumb question is the question that is not asked.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 434 posts
    June 30, 2010 2:16 AM BST
    Cristine,
    Good idea about starting a thread in another forum.
    You mentioned that the thread was placed in the UK law forum ... would it not then seem to be running the risk of "high-jacking" issues specific to the UK?
    I do not know how to manipulate the forum system on this site to be able to initiate a forum - or how to transfer the large number of posts dealing with that issue to another forum without losing the posters information or chronology.
    If you are able to do that, it would certainly "un-clutter" this forum and provide some "continuity" for the target forum.
    hugs!

"and my needs entwined, like ribbons of light...and I came through the doorway, some where... in the night"
    • 871 posts
    July 1, 2010 12:22 PM BST
    Hiya Everyone,
    I have re-read this thread again and I realise that it has really helped me, so thanks ever so much!

The harassment I have recently endured has caused me quite a bit of pathology and a huge amount of hurt because my neighbours dragged my daughter into the abuse which is totally unfair on her to experience and it affected me badly. I see most of my content here as cathartism in dealing with that and a way to talk the stones away from my heart. I am hoping my neighbours have now been pacified but it will take me a while to recover.

Thanks a lot
    Penny
    x
    • 434 posts
    July 1, 2010 8:25 PM BST
    Penny,
    You have a big hug from me anytime you need it .. dear girl.
    • 1017 posts
    July 1, 2010 9:26 PM BST
    Hi Penny,

I'll have to admit this thread took some turns that I never anticipated. But if it helped you, then it's all to the good.

Best,
    Melody
    • 1017 posts
    July 5, 2010 3:57 PM BST
    Just a random thought:

Is Top Gear TV really TG?

Best,
    Melody
    • 871 posts
    July 5, 2010 4:50 PM BST
    Thanks very much for your support!! hugs.

Its just that after re-reading I became concerned that my perception might of been slightly skewed due to the difficulties I am currently facing. This harassment has taken over my life. I've lost my confidence and enjoyment of life. The police and council have been excellent and its being dealt with. I’m sure these difficulties will pass and I will get back to my normal self in winding people up and being a general nuisance!

Much Love
    Penny
    X
    • 12 posts
    July 29, 2010 1:22 PM BST
    Drag queens are artists. Not TG by definition.

Hope that answers your question, smiles.
    • 181 posts
    August 7, 2010 4:26 PM BST
    In the strictest sense , uh no . Drag Queens for the most part are Gay Men and some Gay Women doing the Drag King bits . They are generally very Theater orented and the allure of the stage is what attracts thes types . ellen
    • 871 posts
    August 7, 2010 6:52 PM BST
    Thanks for your support Zoe. The people who have given me a hard time make a point of keeping their children clear of me, just in case I might happen to eat one!