I watch a lot of cooking shows

• 1980 posts
    February 6, 2011 11:57 PM GMT
    Hi girls, well, speaking for myself, I hardly ever measure anything, except for, as Lucy mentioned, baked goods which require more or less exact amounts or rather proportions for them to turn out properly. I'm more into the Rachel Ray style which usually means a pinch of this or a handful of that. She claims not to even have a set of measuring spoons in her kitchen, which I kind of somehow doubt, but from watching her I can believe that she'd have a hard time finding them if she needed to.

And I love Jamie and his cooking and just taking things fresh from the garden and especially that outdoor oven he has. Besides, he's way cute.<g>

Thanks for the recipe, Lucy, it sounds yummy.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 1652 posts
    February 6, 2011 10:40 PM GMT
    I'm a bit of a cooking show aficionado too. I have to say Nigella and especially Jamie don't fuss about quantities much, they both often say that you can and should adapt recipes to suit you. Obviously some things require certain ratios of ingredients to work, a nice light cake for example. If they seem to be haphazard the way they chuck stuff in it's just cos they're trying to do it quickly for television. You can be sure that the one they prepared earlier has been measured out accurately.
    If it's a recipe for a dish that I fancy, I take little notice of quantities, within reason. I made Jamie's "Wonky Pasta" the other day after seeing it on telly, he used a whole mini-pot of basil in it (for 4 people), i used less than a quarter of the amount he put in and still found it overpoweringly basilly. I sometimes think he's a bit heavy handed with his flavourings; smothering pitta bread in fennel seeds for example, I'm sure I would find that a little too much. But I love his style, he's brilliant, and his creativity in the kitchen is inspiring.
    His "30 minute meals" series is on at the moment, every day I watch it and it puts me off what I was planning to cook; his stuff looks so much better!
    Some of them really are fussy though. Gary Rhodes takes so long to plate up prettily, arranging each carrot or bean or potato by hand so it's at a jaunty angle... his food must always be cold!
    The fusspot queen has to be Delia though. Her detailed and verbose instructions on how to cook an egg, make toast, even how to know when water is boiling "properly" left me gobsmacked. Ok so some people just don't know how to cook; Delia, you ain't helping them!
    xx
    • 1017 posts
    February 6, 2011 10:00 PM GMT
    Hi All,

I watch a lot, I mean really a lot, of cooking shows on TV. I'll never manage to actually cook some of the fancy dishes they prepare, but I like to watch and maybe pick a a few tips I can actually use.

One thing bothers me, though, whether it's Alton, Emeril, Rachel or Bobby here or Jamie, Ramsey or Nigella across the pond or the chefs on the TV shopping channels, is how they fuss about how important measuring ingredients is. Then they proceed to pour, scoop or toss ingredients into their culinary creations, leaving lots behind in their prep bowls.

Don't know if it's time constraints of a TV show or what, but I use a spatula to make sure I get every last bit into my dishes.

Maybe it's just me...

Best,
    Mellie