Open Faced Italian Meatball Sandwich

• 1017 posts
    February 11, 2011 2:23 PM GMT
    So Cristine won't have to go fishing in Janis' dryer:

Here's a recipe I sometimes make for lunch.

Open Faced Italian Meatball Sandwich

Ingredients:
    1. An oblong sandwich roll
    2. Pasta sauce
    3. Mushrooms
    4. Italian olives, pitted
    5. Italian meatballs
    6. Mozzarella, Provolone, Romano & Parmesan cheeses
    7. Parsley

Directions:
    Slice the roll longways through the middle. I like sour dough but any sandwich roll will do. Lightly butter the insides and place in a hot skillet till the butter begins to brown.

Spoon or brush on your favorite pasta sauce on the browned sides of your roll.

Roughly chop your mushrooms and olives (I like the garlic stuffed Sicilian style green ones.)

Place the two roll halves side by side and cover them with the chopped mushrooms and olives. On top of this, place your meatballs - as many as you can get to stay on the roll. I used to make my own meatballs, but these days I'm lazy and just use the store bought kind.

Grate the cheeses over the meatballs.

Put your sandwich halves on a broiler pan and under the broiler til the cheese is nice and bubbling.

Remove (carefully) from the broiler pan and plate. Schred a bit of parsley over the melted cheese to make it all pretty.

Serves two.

(you can cut down on prep time by using pasta sauce that already has mushrooms and olives in it, but it won't taste quite as good.)

Best,
    Mellie
    • 1980 posts
    February 11, 2011 9:01 PM GMT
    ROTFLMAO! Mellie, we have so got to get together sometime and have a drink or two.<lol>

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 1980 posts
    February 11, 2011 8:09 PM GMT
    That sounds way good, girl. In fact I may do it for dinner tonight. BTW, I like the idea of sprinkling fresh parsley on things to make them pretty, I am so going to add that to my makeup routine.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 1017 posts
    February 11, 2011 8:51 PM GMT
    Hi Joni Mari,

Yes, parsley bits can be very flattering to all skin tones. I suggest a lime based foundation with avocado powder, guava eye shadow, leafy green lipstick and kiwifruit blush to achieve that perfect "garden sprite" look. Worked for Peter Pan...or maybe it was Tinker Bell...okay, it was Jiminy Cricket, but he did look good...

Best,
    Mellie