Basics 101: Pork Chop Dinner

• 1017 posts
    February 13, 2011 5:01 PM GMT
    Hi Rose,

I don't "rest" my pork chops but I do with steaks. If chops are cooked through, there's really no point since they aren't a particularly juicy cut of meat. (But then I'm neither a chef nor an expert.)

The chops I buy are labeled "boneless thick cut, pork sirloin chops." No gristle or bone.

Best,
    Mellie
  • February 13, 2011 2:56 PM GMT

Melody. top chefs always stress the importance of resting steak after cooking - do you do this with your pork chops?
    I prefer to eat pork steak rather than pay for a lot of bone and fat and gently frying always makes tender steak not requiring resting.
    • 1017 posts
    February 13, 2011 2:30 AM GMT
    Hi All,

This is for the new or hesitant cook. Advanced chefs are encouraged to offer upgrades.

Ingredients:
    1. A pork chop, boneless and cut thick, any good butcher will cut them to your preference
    2. Marinade, I'm using Lawry's "Steak and Chop" here, but any you find at your local market will do
    3. A can of corn, or any veggie you prefer
    4. A frozen slice of garlic toast
    5. Butter

Utensils:
    1. A good size griddle or frying pan
    2. Tongs
    3. A paper plate
    4. Timer

Directions:
    1. Place the pork chop in a zip-lock bag and cover it to the half way point with marinade. Close the bag squeezing all the air out (if you don't do this carefully, you will be drenched in marinade)
    2. Put the bagged pork chop in the fridge for 4 to 24 hours. Half way through, shake and return to the fridge.
    3. Heat your pan to low to medium heat.
    4. When the pan is hot, add your pork chop. Set your timer for 6 minutes.
    5. When the timer goes off, use your tongs to turn over the pork chop. In a corner of the pan place the frozen garlic toast. Set the timer to 3 minutes.
    6. Empty the can of corn onto the paper plate and add butter. Microwave for 2 minutes.
    7. When the microwave beeps, stir the corn. Reset the microwave timer to 1 1/2 minutes
    8. When the timer beeps, turn over the garlic toast and reset the timer for 3 minutes.
    9. When the beeper sounds off again, remove the corn from the microwave. Transfer the pork chop and garlic toast to a plate. Scrape the corn onto the plate.

Serves one or two.

Again, this is for the new cook. There are many, many ways to improve this, but this will get you started...

Best,
    Mellie