Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Passing in public » The Nicest Compliment

The Nicest Compliment

Tags : None
  • I don't know if this is a "passing in public" experience, but close enough.

I retired from my corporate managerial job 11 years ago. I had a close GG friend there who I knew first as an employee of mine, though were were more work partners than boss/associate. We were friends and were there for each other during her divorce and my breakup with my long time girlfriend. We were co-workers, friends and confidents. I sponsored her for an upgrade to higher position which my boss and District Manager opposed. This caused me office political grief, but when a corpoarte HR person was brought in and evaluated her, she was promoted. Later I sponsored her for promotion to being a full manager. I had no input to that decision but eventually she was management. Our relationship was strictly platonic, but we regularly had dinner together at one of our houses. I confided to her that I was transgendered, but she never saw me as Melody.

Other than a couple of e-mails, we've been pretty much out of touch for the last decade. Out of the blue she invited me over to her new house a couple of weeks ago. I replied I am mostly Melody these days, the "Mac" she knew was pretty much gone. To my surprise, she told me "Melody is very welcome in my home." We set the date for this weekend and I drove over to her house.

I didn't want to scare her (or her kids who probably didn't remember me from the 1990's) so I dressed down: just my wig, minimal makeup, some jewelry, t-shirt, jeans and sneakers.

She didn't bat an eye when I showed up at her door, "Come in, Melody, and meet my friends." I wasn't expecting "friends." I don't know what she told them, all GG's, but they were all very nice.

While my friend, Dee, fixed us snacks, I made small talk with the girls. Someone said that one of the cable shopping channels was having a sale on handbags and I mentioned I needed a new one.

We all watched the presentation, laughing when the hostess would drop a bag on the floor or the tech crew screwed up the box of details about a bag. Encouraged by the girls, I called in and bought a denim blue pebble leather cross-body bag. I was having a wonderful time.

When we all had to leave, we all exchanged "mawh" kisses and I realized no one had ever mentioned that I was not really, at least physically, a woman.

Acceptance, especially in the female world is wonderful.

Best, Mellie

<p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      May 2, 2011 1:15 AM BST
  • That is the nicest of compliments Mellie!  I hope you have or will have more great nights with that group of new friends xx

E-J XX
      June 18, 2011 6:44 PM BST
  • Thanks, E-J. Dee and I are going to meet in the park 4th of July week (not the holiday, itself) for a BBQ with her kids. Hope she brings some of the girls I met at her house.

Best, Mellie

<p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      June 18, 2011 7:37 PM BST
  • Hope you have a fab time Mellie! Why not ask Dee if she could bring those girls along?

E-J XX
      June 19, 2011 5:46 PM BST
  • Mellie,

That is one of the nicest things I have heard in a long time!  Your friend is quite special.   Hope you have a great 4th with her family.

Michelle

June 22, 2011 8:32 PM BST

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your post, Mellie. The most supportive people I know have always been GG's and I'm far more at home in their company than a man's. Glad you had a great and relaxing time as yourself ...

Rae xx

www.raekelcou.com
    This post was edited by Rae K at June 26, 2011 12:53 AM BST
      June 26, 2011 12:52 AM BST
  • That's wonderful to hear, it was pretty much the same for me at the church I go to now, straight after the service I was asked if I wanted to join the Women's League! It does make you feel good, doesn't it?

<p><span style="color: #ff00ff;"><strong><em>Being a girl is a full time job... Hugs n' stuff Sammi xXx</em></strong></span></p> <p>&nbsp;</p>
      August 26, 2011 1:43 PM BST
  • The best and most precious compliment I've received is on my daughter's Facebook page where she lists me as her mother. :-)
      February 19, 2012 4:22 PM GMT