Your size: and then there sizes!

• 95 posts
    August 20, 2013 10:28 PM BST

OK, so after a while of trying jeans, skirts, tops, dresses, I finally come to conclude that I am a dress size 6, jeans 4 (or 27), top small. Or thereabouts. Usually. I go to a store in the USA called "The Gap" which has some very nice, trendy clothes - jeans, tops skirts mostly. I got a pair of shorts by mail, size 6 - HUGE! Return for a 4. Still LARGish. Well, they fit well enough for work at the marina. I went back to a "morter and brick" Gap store for a pair of twill pants (trousers) and the clerk advised a size 2 (I was wearing the shorts). I try on the 2 and they are still baggy  - I'm like, "...i can't be a zero, no way!" But yes, a size 0 was the size that fit. Just goes to show that you still have to try things on...you'll spend too much time returning things and one will just have to get "conditioned" to the scary walk to the changing room!   

• 143 posts
    August 20, 2013 11:34 PM BST
    I am with you Robin - this size thing is definitely an adventure and a girl has to go out and try on things. I have had limited success at ordering things online. Most importantly - there is no rhyme or reason to the numbers and there is certainly no consistency. Depending on the maker and their standards I too can be all over the number line. I am awaiting the day they start using irrational numbers - at least they would be fun : square root of 2, square root of 3, pi, e, et al. 
  • August 21, 2013 1:51 AM BST

Ok first, a SIZE 6.................a 6.............it's official, I hate you LOL. Kidding.  Wow that's incredible Robin.  I usually don't have problems in stores, but I never have been to the GAP, but I know buying online is crazy, I have four or five online places that I shop and only from them because you DO seem to have that trial and error thing to get through in the beginning.  If I like an online, I just try to get dialed in on what planet their sizing is from and remember it.  I always used to hear that online run big, but of the five I use, one seems to be accurate, one runs big, and three run small, but I have also noticed that the one that runs large, is geared towards someone about my age, the one that is accurate is geared towards someone probably a little younger than me, and the three that run small, are geared towards an age that I probably shouldn't even be looking at buying in the first place lol, but I do anyway.  I love to go shopping for clothes, and shoes but I think the stiles you find on line are so much nicer than what is usually in the stores.  So, stores are about the pleasure of getting out for me, and I usually don't buy a lot, and online is about getting most of the stuff I really want to wear.

• 95 posts
    August 21, 2013 3:24 AM BST

Briana Q: I think imaginary numbers would be even better! right? Briana, I think I shop at stores I shouldn't be shopping at, too! I refuse to grow up and shop at Talbot's!! , )

• 13 posts
    August 21, 2013 9:15 AM BST

I do my clothes buying online. I have sussed out my size as UK 16 for the bottom half (32-33" waist), but for my top half an 18 is better. I think this is due to my shoulders rather than my bustline (!). This usually works out quite well, though I recently bought a pencil skirt, supposedly a 16, which is too loose. I may get it taken in at the waist at the tailor's. At least this can be done with garments that are too big for you. One drawback is that things can disappear in the post, this has happened to three of my orders through eBay, but I have found that eBay sellers like to maintain a high reputation, and give a full refund for the missing item (or replace it), and then make a claim for compensation from Royal Mail.

• August 23, 2013 9:55 AM BST

yeah most of my shoping is online or charity shops

33" waist
    34 chest 34A

dress size 12-14 depending on shop or style some dresses if i get 12 def need help getting in and out of lol i do have a 10 that fits nicely like a said it def depends on the shop u buy from

all i got to say thank god for returns lol although i dont need to use that option any more