Your opinion - most beautiful music ever

• March 2, 2010 6:14 PM GMT
    Thanks again Michelle, don't fear hijacking the thread I may have started it but I don't own it. I'll check out"The Mystic Dream" is there a name for this particular genre?

By the way, has anyone mentioned that your name reminds them of a Beautiful Beatle song?

Jennifer
  • February 27, 2010 7:53 PM GMT
    In your opinion, what is the most Beautiful piece of music you’ve ever heard?

For me it has always been Debussy’s “Claire de Lune”.

This composition has been a personal anthem of mine and has provided joy and inspiration throughout much of my life. For awhile in the recent past, it evoked sadness because I associated it with a lost relationship - and I was unable to listen without feeling empty. I’m happy to say I’ve regained ownership of this piece and can now listen anew with the same joy and it again fills me with inspiration.

What’s yours?

Jennifer
  • February 27, 2010 8:21 PM GMT
    I can definately agree Melody, you're speaking my language...

I'd add to your suggestion by including all of "Rubber Soul," because once you play one song, where do you stop? "In My Life"...gee, just incredible. I prefer the US version of the album myself - starts off with "I've Just Seen a Face" and has more of a thematic folk rock feel. In fact, I'm going to play it right now.

After all these years, I can't remember an instance when I've ever changed the dial when a Beatle song has played - their music lifts my spirit. I love almost all music from that era.

Jennifer
  • February 27, 2010 8:29 PM GMT
    What a question!
    I love music so much I can't imagine being without it. If was forced to pick .... Beatles Revolver, Beach Boys Pet Sounds, Patti Smith Horses, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, New Boots and Panties, and loads and loads and loads...........!
  • February 27, 2010 8:32 PM GMT
    Janis

Pet Sounds...yes indeed, a huge favorite of mine. I'll play that one today also. I just love the Beach Boys!!

Perhaps my favorite B.B. song is "The Warmth of the Sun" I especially love the final verse when they sing "I'll dream of her arms..." and how the music changes key at that precise point as if to lift you into another state of conciousness. It's also chilling to realise the 'feel' of the song was inspired and written in one night in an emotional response to events earlier that day - 11/22/62 - the night of the day JFK was assassinated. To think, Brian Wilson was just a kid in his early 20s at the time.

Jennifer
  • February 27, 2010 11:08 PM GMT
    I forgot to mention "Who's Next", which also gets my album cover award,
  • February 27, 2010 11:18 PM GMT
    Lucy, I agree it is indeed one helluva rhetorical question.

I was listening to Debussy and felt delighted that I could enjoy his music anew, and realized nothing moved me as deeply throughout my life as “Claire de Lune”, so I posed the question interested in other’s first impressions – the music that really touches their soul in a beautiful way. Perhaps answers to the question would inspire me or others to reach back into their collection, or try something new.

I agree with you about Chopin, but for me Debussy delivers that term ‘flowing’ that you refer to so accurately. I believe he’s a master of melody and voice leading techniques, and I think he reached his zenith with "Caire de Lune". I’ll put on some Chopin later – I agree he’s wonderful as well, perhaps as a pianist you can appreciate his playing technique on a deeper level than I had been capable. I don’t know of his bonkerness or personality but concur with your assessment of his “Raindrop Prelude”…I’ll dig a bit deeper.

It’s incredible that you should pull Andreas Vollenweider out of your hat like a magic rabbit. I was a huge fan and listened to his “Down to the Moon” album specifically and a couple others that followed consistently during the mid to latter part of the eighties and into the nineties...somehow, I lost track of him. I agree with you and thank you for refreshing my memory. That’s exactly what I was hoping for by starting this thread. I’ve never seen him live and I’m glad to know he’s still producing fine music and performing shows. He truly is a Master....and I shall add him to my list for today's listening starting with "Down to the Moon" and take it from there - then I'll dig deeper to catch up with his latest endeavors in the near future.

It's an unusually rainy day for me here in Southern California - perfect for settling back and listening to some fine music.

On another note: I love Enya's "Carribean Blue" from "Shepard Moons" and can't play it enough - in fact, I enjoy much of her music...what a voice.

Jennifer
  • February 27, 2010 11:37 PM GMT
    I'll order the DVD today.,,I had no idea there was one available... Wonderful.
  • February 27, 2010 11:54 PM GMT
    Lucy,
    Please tell me that your reference to the Dalai Lama as being an insignificant figure was wrong?

• 1912 posts
    February 28, 2010 1:21 AM GMT
    One of the tunes that has always stuck in my mind is "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues. There is just something mystical about it. The Beach Boys are another one of those group of guys that were just meant to be together. Brian Wilson and Mike Love were an unbeatable combination.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
  • February 28, 2010 2:24 AM GMT
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Listening to Andreas again was like visiting with an old friend. I played "Down to the Moon" 3 times in a row – it really offers fond memories as well as fine music (in fact I recall now that it was among the first 3 CD’s I purchased – already owning the cassette and vinyl), and “Dancing with the Lion”. I also ordered his Magical Journey DVD = but could only find a 1 disc version. – so I hope it’s the correct one, if not, I’m sure it’ll be good anyway.

Along with some Debussy, Beatles, Beach Boys and Joni Mitchell, It’s been a nice rainy day afternoon of musical pleasure for me.

Interesting mention of the Moody Blues above – another group that used to be a favorite of mine, although not forgotten. So tonight it shall be “Day’s of Future Past”, “In Search of the Lost Chord”, and “For Our Children’s Children” then a taste of “Sheppard Moons” topped off with some Chopin…another sip of Debussy and finally another stiff round of “Back to the Moon”.

But I believe I’ll take Janis’s advise and clear my palate with some “Who’s Next” and start a fire.

Anna, I'll have to get back with you on your suggestion - I'm not familiar with opera or "Lonestar", but willing to learn.

Thanks all
    Jennifer
  • February 28, 2010 3:09 AM GMT
    Morning Mood from Peer Gynt by Edvard Grieg, to me, is so beautiful that even listening to it now as I type makes me emotional.
  • February 28, 2010 6:22 AM GMT
    Jackson Brown has such a beautiful voice. I've just listened to "Jamaica say you will" which I hadn't played for a long time.
  • February 28, 2010 5:04 PM GMT
    Most beautiful music ever? Wow, tough to choose. Like others have said, much of it depends on your mood, and what you need at a given moment. But two I always go back to are Schubert's Quintet in C major and Mozart's Great Mass in C minor.

Hmm--I just realized that these were about the last pieces either one of them wrote. Wonder what that means?

I love this thread--I know a lot of the music, but learning about new things to listen too as well.

Emily
  • February 28, 2010 7:25 PM GMT
    Listening to Vollenweider again reminded me that I also very much enjoy Jean Luc Ponty’s music from the same time period. I enjoyed a nice relaxing rainy day of music yesterday, Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Keep the ideas coming….

Maybe I’ll start a thread someday soon requesting favorite Party down and Dance music too.

Jennifer

BTW I made a typo mistake above = the correct date of course was 11/22/63
  • February 28, 2010 8:23 PM GMT
    Jennifer,I love Debussy also,but even more so Ravel,his countryman-'The Mother Goose' suite,subtle and evocative.Though I come from what the Germans call',the land 'without Music' may I,without sounding nationalistic mention my 16th. century countryman,Thomas Tallis,who in Catholick times wrote 'Spem in alium' a piece of rapturous spirituality comparable to the great Italians-Monteverdi and Palestrina.If all this sounds a bit highfaluting there are so many American songs from the movies that stick in the mind-the strangely mystical 'Inch Worm' and so much of George Gershwin-i cried on listening to 'Rhapsody in blue after 9th September 2001.Best,as only an Englishwoman can- the 'Londonderry Air' has me reduced to paroxysms of guilt and shame as does most music from that Holy country,-Ireland!
  • February 28, 2010 8:38 PM GMT
    Thanks Nina,

Great suggestions

Rhapsody in Blue is my favorite 20th century composition without a doubt. There are so many versions, some interesting ones can even be found on U-Tube I only wish a good recording existed from the '24 performance led by Paul Whiteman w/ Gershwin himself at the piano. His friend Oscar Levant (what a character)carried on his tradition valiently with respect. This piece possibly transformed music of the pre-modern era more than any others. In fact, I suppose it created modern music by merging styles and making jazz respectible among the classical crowd. The opening glissando (actually a last minuite inclusion if I recall properly) gives me chills and I know I'm settling in for a 9 minuite transformative experience.

Jennifer
  • February 28, 2010 8:57 PM GMT
    Right on ,Jennifer-and what ABOUT E llington-exemplifies what you were saying a propos of the classical crowd(that's me folks!)-and what about-guess!- God rest her troubled soul-one Ms. Simone after whom I got my Girlie 'Moniker'.The timbre of her voice reminds me of the tragic Kathleen Ferrier-almost a local lass who you probably havent heard of over there.Can I suggest for pure womanly freshness and pathos,your Ella Fitzgerald-made my parents cry so much-wartime memories-parting at railway stations-the dry throat and the stifled sobs in those terrible times.
    • 36 posts
    February 28, 2010 10:21 PM GMT
    Eric Clapton--Layla
    Grateful Dead--Morning Dew
    • 105 posts
    February 28, 2010 10:42 PM GMT
    Hello Jennifer,

As others have observed, singling out one piece is a tough call, but for me it would have to be Beethoven's 9th Symphony, fourth (choral) movement. The rapturous building of the voices over the majestic orchestration always takes my breath away.

Away from the classics, I get the same kind of rush from the violin solo in the Unplugged version of Bryan Adams' "Eighteen Till I Die".

Hugs,

Judith
    • 308 posts
    March 1, 2010 5:38 AM GMT
    Wow, thanks Lucy and Jennifer,

I have to admit, I have never heard of Andreas Vollenweider, but I am listening to him as I write,( "Down to the Moon") this is GREAT STUFF. I plan of ordering some of his music....thanks ladies.
    Unlike many on this subject, I am quite a fan of Techno, the down home Detroit style second wave, by the pioneers Carl Craig, Jeff Mills, Richie Hawtin's, my favorite, etc. I go to quite a few Techno parties here in Detroit, and a lot of my friends are surprised that at my age, I get it.
    I know, this is not for everyone. But people from around the world come into Detroit for the Techno festival, now this is not the trance techno that most are used to hearing.
    Tammy
  • March 1, 2010 5:53 AM GMT
    HI Tammy, I’m glad you’re enjoying Andreas. It's well suited for deep listening and I can get lost in it. Looking forward to the DVD.
    I’ve never tried Techno music that I know of but I’ll take your recommendation and give some of the names you mentioned a try. Sounds like it could be fun party dance music?

Jennifer
    • 33 posts
    March 1, 2010 9:10 PM GMT
    Just stumbled across this thread and I have to say I agree a lot with Cristine in most aspects that the most beautiful music depends on the mood of the listener. That being said, maybe I'll throw out a suggestion and see if you want to toss it around... The most beautiful music really depends on the abilities of the writer or composer to convey feelings and emotions into and through the music and for the performer to translate and make that happen. Therefore, it really is a two part process, especially if the composer and performer are different individuals or it's a group effort. Do you think that is the case?
    I guess I can throw out some of my thoughts on artists with that ability and try not to overlap what has already been said. I would have to direct some of you to Andreas Segovia, Carlos Montoya and some of the other Flamenco guitar masters. Sorry, I used to play that style and I know how demanding and exactly how much of oneself you put into each performance There are some other classical pieces that spring to mind mainly Mozarts clarinet quintet K.581. More contemporary I find myself leaning to the revitalization of the celtic in particular like Loreena McKennitt, I am sure some of you can pick a few pieces out like that and have already. I hate mentioning pop artists so I won't but performers I have no problem with... Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jeff Beck, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Prince, Rob Halford, Tarja Turnen. These are just some names that rolled off the top of my head to throw into the fray and see what you thought of them. They are all guitarists or vocalists, funny but looking at the vocalists, except for Prince the other two are opera trained. I know I am missing some here.

Michelle
    • 9 posts
    March 1, 2010 10:33 PM GMT
    What a fabulous thread. I had never heard of Andreas Vollenweider but I'm listening to him now, though only on You Tube - not the best quality but I will pursue further. My own preferences are a bit 'poppy' and my favourite bands of all time are the Beatles and the Beach Boys - anyone melodic. I cannot single out Beatles songs as there are too many to choose from but a couple of Beach Boys tracks that I love are 'Forever ', 'Somewhere near Japan' and 'Caroline No'. Other favourites are Colin Blunstone 'Old and Wise', 'I don't believe in miracles', 'Wonderful' and 'Never even thought', Norah Jones 'Come Away With Me', and Barbra Streisand's 'Faure Requiem' from the Barbra Classical album. Oh yes, Crosby Stills & Nash 'Suite: Judy Blue Eyes' and David Gates 'Clouds Suite'. I have managed to find all except the Streisand track on You Tube so you can sample them all. The longer I take to type this the more I keep thinking of more, so I'll stop for breath now. What FUN.
    • 33 posts
    March 2, 2010 4:33 AM GMT
    "I’m just waiting for someone to suggest that Judas Priest’s “Hell Bent for Leather” is their idea of a beautiful piece, or something… "
    Lucy,
    I think I mentioned Rob Halford in my post, LOL and funny you should mention this song, not my pick of most beautiful piece... As a singer I feel he has some very impressive abilities to convey feelings and emotions which do make that group powerful. Most beautiful not quite sure about that one. If I were to go in that vein of music I would probably pick something like Nightwish's Sleeping Sun here is a youtube link http://www.youtube.com/wa[...]related or Tarja Turunen's (mispelled it before ACK) I Walk Alone http://www.youtube.com/wa[...]related. Anyway, I hope you enjoy these two, they are beautiful in their own right. Most beautiful, I don't know about that... I keep thinking of more and more so I don't think, for me, it would be a question I could ever answer to my satisfaction. Although, I could circle around a few artists/composers. Also, I don't think we could all ever agree completely on one or even a dozen songs, for example and I will duck as soon as I say this, I dislike greatly The Beatles and pretty much any country song that has ever been performed... Just me and my particular tastes in music nothing wrong with it and nothing wrong with Beatles fans. I have a few guilty pleasure groups that would cause... scratch that have caused my friends to go *EWWW* won't mention them by name unless forced too but they are 80's bands.

Michelle
  • March 2, 2010 5:07 AM GMT

Wonderful suggestions ladies, thanks for joining in and keep the thoughts coming…I could list a few more, and probably shall add to this thread in the near future (I love solo acoustic guitar – Adrian Legg, Laurence Juber, Django Reinhardt…etc., but I’m a little sleepy now from a day of skin needling)

Beauty is in the eye and mood of the beholder to be sure. I was enjoying a rainy relaxing day and wanted to play some warm ‘beautiful’ music appropriate to my mood, so I reached out for suggestions and received some marvelous responses. I’m happy to know there are so many music lovers aboard TW.

Someday I, or another member shall/could follow up with a request for favorite music appropriate for another mood in their opinion.

Gratefully,
    Jennifer
  • March 2, 2010 11:36 AM GMT
    Trust me to come up with this one girls.

Frankie Howard and June Whitfield Up Je T Aime. lol. Janey. xxx

• March 2, 2010 4:24 PM GMT
    Gee Michelle, I’m now a Tara Turnuen fan and I’d never heard of her before - Thanks!. I enjoyed both clips very much “Nightwish” blew me away. I’m going to spend more time on that link and listen to more of her music. Quite an incredible voice and the videos are lovely as is she.

Lucy, You-Tube is great = you can watch or listen to almost anything , although usually in low-fidelity - just do a search . You should consider placing some of your own performances on You Tube.

I wasn't sure we could post clickable links on TW, I'm glad to know it's OK here.

Jennifer
  • March 2, 2010 4:41 PM GMT
    Jennifer and crew,I realise Ive got a lot to learn-never used U-tube and couldn't ever imagine being so 'Hip' as to try 'techno' but trust your obvious taste to make a mental note to do so.
    Did get as a give away cd in my latest Music Magsomething from the BBC collection-'The Great American Classics';Gershwin's Second Rhapsody,Bernstein's Chichester Psalms-intruiging for a girl with archaic tastes as I have family connections,having sang in the Cathedral there as a choirboy in a previous incarnation.Always a Bonus with CDs' the Missisippi Suite' by someone called Ferde Grofe?Last of all 'Harlem' by the great Duke Ellington-coincidence or what?looking forward to listening when I've cleaned up the Gothic squalor of my apartment!
    Thanks,girls-I've really enjoyed and learned a lot from this thread,Nina P.xxx
    • 33 posts
    March 2, 2010 5:44 PM GMT
    Lucy and others,
    Lucy, no apology needed, I was laughing so hard when I read your post because I just had the feeling it was a coincidence. Normally people don't associate Rob with Judas Priest unless they actually know the band lineup or are into that kind of music. It was just so funny I had to comment. I am glad that the ones who checked out Tarja and liked her music commented. That band and her as a singer just really did it for me the first time I heard her as well. There are a few other bands as well that are a lot like Nightwish with that sort of sound. PM me and I can give you a starter list to explore, there is a whole genre of that type, I don't want to hijack a thread with this stuff. I thought of another song that really is one that keeps coming to mind and is one that I think defines for me the definitions laid out, hmm finally I may have made up my mind LOL, Loreena McKennitt's The Mystic's Dream. You tube is down for me so I can't give a link, but yup I think I can settle on that as one of my top most beautiful songs.

Michelle
  • March 2, 2010 9:11 PM GMT
    Lucy

You mentioned Mozart's Requiem as a piece of beautiful though sad music. When I wrote earlier about the Mass in C minor, I was thinking of the Requiem Mass in D. It is one of the most overpowering pieces of music I know. I listen to it again and again. The Schubert Quintet, though, might be the thing I would like to hear on my deathbed.

Everyone, if you have not looked into it already, I suggest investigating Pandora.com. It is a free web site that bills itself as online radio playing only music you like. (You do have to put up with brief advertisements from time to time, but not much.) After you register, name a piece of music you love and the site will find something similar. As you keep clicking on what you like or don't, it learns more about your tastes. You can set up multiple stations with different genres. (I listen to a lot of jazz while working, for instance, which I based initially on Mingus' Ah Um.

The group that runs it keeps adding more music all the time. It is probably weaker on classical than other kinds of music, but it is still quite interesting.

Emily
    • 105 posts
    March 2, 2010 10:42 PM GMT
    Hi Emily,

Pandora.com used to be one of my favourite sources of music, until copyright/royalty issues led to their withdrawing access from non-US residents. I really miss it, because it was almost scary how their choices of playlist would meander through genres and styles, and yet still be to my taste pretty much all the time. A great idea, and a marvellous resource I'd highly recommend to anyone lucky enough to be able to enjoy it

Hugs,

Judith
    • 33 posts
    March 3, 2010 6:44 AM GMT
    Have you tried last.fm?? I use it more than I do Pandora. Although Pandora runs on my Blackberry which seems permanently attached to me now, Pandora just seems hit or miss for me though. I can get really specific with last.fm and then just switch stations around rather than let it try and make too much sense of me... Jennifer, Nope, your the first one to actually say that about my name and a Beatles song. I must say I am a little curious. Even though I might not make it through the whole song, I promise I'll try once. Ok, for the others interested in the list of groups like Nightwish they are in a genre called Operatic Metal or Symphonic Metal. I've heard both terms used but I lean closer to the Operatic Metal. Anyway, groups I would suggest looking into are Leaves' Eyes, Krypteria, Visions of Atlantis, Amberian Dawn, Katra and Epica. I tried to include a wide range in here some you'll like and some you won't but there is a lot of variety even in the different songs by the groups I think the first two along with Nightwish are among my favorites. I would throw Lacuna Coil in there but they don't quite fit the genre exactly but one you might want to check out for a little variety . Some days this music is my cup of tea and some days it isn't. You sort of know when you are in the mood for it, LOL.

Michelle

P.S. Here is a link to the Song I mentioned in my earlier post The Mystic's Dream http://www.youtube.com/wa[...]2rUHc7Q
    • 105 posts
    March 3, 2010 9:09 AM GMT
    Hi, Michelle,

Last.fm is indeed my "Pandora replacement", and it does a very good job, but for me the charm of Pandora was the way it led me into musical areas I'd never explored or even thought of looking into. For example, I started out with a folk/rock song by the Oyster Band, and three tracks later (all of which I gave a thumbs-up) I was listening to Bonfire Madigan, which is essentially a punk/chamber music fusion. I'd never have found it without Pandora, and while Last.fm is great for providing me with stuff I like, it never really leads me out of my neighbourhood, if you follow me

With regard to Nightwish, would you say that Evanescence fall into the Symphonic Metal category?

Hugs,

Judith
    • 871 posts
    March 3, 2010 10:47 PM GMT
    Hi,

Theres lots of beautiful music to choose from, and for me, words cannot express how i feel about this performer, so the 5 minute clip in the link says it all for me. There will never be another singer, performer and artist that will match this tallent...

http://www.youtube.com/wa[...]related

The great thing about music, its all good, because although we might all have different opinions, none of our opinions are wrong for ourselves.

With that said, moonlight sonata by ludwig is a favourite of mine.

Love
    Penny
    x
    • 157 posts
    March 3, 2010 11:42 PM GMT
    I've tried to pick what I've thought is the most beautiful music, but I can't begin to even narrow it down to a type or even composer. As I've read the replies I have seen compositions that I had forgotten, some I was just introduced to, and some that reminded me of others. So my answer is:

The most beautiful music ever is the piece that touches you where you need to be touched at that moment in time. The joyful music that transports you to the time and place of your love’s first kiss, the beautiful sunset, the moment when your heart leaped. Perhaps it causes the tears to flow from your eyes in a torrent as it tells the story of your personal tragedy, reminds you of when your heart was broken. Joy, sadness, and everything in between is tried to music – classical, blues, pop, rock, strings, or twang – it doesn’t matter what the genre, it only matters that you are moved.

Jeri
    • 308 posts
    March 4, 2010 2:49 PM GMT
    Great music suggestions ladies, and fascinating thread Jennifer. It took me a while to get back to this thread. Although, I am a little more moved than by just Techno, it is not just about toe tapping, it changes my mood. Great music Michelle, by Loreena McKennitt, I have her CD "A winter Garden" just nice easy listening when I need to focus on my inner being. http://www.youtube.com/wa[...]gWL7d4k
    Also I am a fan of Julio Iglesias, especially " if you go away - ne me quitte pas" http://www.youtube.com/wa[...]related
    Now,like I said, I do have a varied taste in my music, Cher, my favorite fem singer naturally..LOL, and add the ZZ tops, went to see them in concert, I can only say ...wow
    Now for some other twists in my music taste...Pavarotti I have his CD, greatest love songs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdTBml4oOZ8&feature=PlayList&p=3711789267D2E64D&index=0&playnext=1
    There are other classic's that I do so enjoy, but it is hard to compete with so my great suggestions, that has expanded my world.
    Keep it going girls, this is educating...Tammy
  • March 4, 2010 3:03 PM GMT
    Once heard on an old vynil '78 a recording of some wretched men in a chain-gang,singing to a beat-up old guitar whilst breaking rocks.Whatever those men had done wrong it was a most moving experience.Think what I'm saying,and I know this is very un-'cool' is that feeling can 'trump' whatever is technically or aesthetically in vogue.Ever heard a Jamaican sea-shanty,maybe originating in England but with a distinctively American sound to it called 'Shaller Brown'?Brings shivers to my spine and tears to my eyes.
    • 434 posts
    March 4, 2010 4:26 PM GMT
    OMG.....what a "can of worms" to open!!!!
    Although I love to play Celtic music and Celtic Instruments, my first love was the Piano ...which later "morphed" to the Pipe Organ.
    I played Church Organ for 6 years - just to get to play a good Pipe Organ!

The Idea of Beauty in music depends on a persons mood...and need at that time,
    If I am needing something deep, powerful, and complex - I tend to play Bach Fugues (they weren't called "Fugues" for nothing)
    When I am feeling "Light" and "Beautiful" - my "fav" is Chopin's Impromptus.
    When I want to "Party", playing Celtic music is my "old standby"
    As for 20th century music, the "Mamas and Papas" and "Simon and Garfunkel" have a soft place in my heart ...when I want to "just listen"

What the world needs is a law that makes it mandatory to have at least one musical instrument in every home....

Life with music is like having a wardrobe ...full of "Beautiful Dresses"
    • 308 posts
    March 4, 2010 9:02 PM GMT
    I thought I posted this already, but I must of clicked something wrong.
    I must admit there is quite an assemblage of music tastes, all good I must add.
    Even though I like the ( hip ) or toe tapping type of music like Techno, it changes my mood. I believe music is used in various ways depending on which mind set we're in. As for me, it is a mood setting event or Techno can be a catalyst to regenerate my thoughts.
    One cannot go through life as far as I have or we have and not have a variety of music selections in our library.
    Michelle brought up a good one Loreena McKennitt, I have her "A Winter Garden " CD, love it.
    Another good one that sets a mood for me is Julio Iglesias, love this one Todo el amor que te hace falta, http://www.youtube.com/wa[...]related
    I think we all can agree that music is in the eye or mind of the beholder.
    Another favorite is Pavarotti, I have his greatest love songs, but this is one of my favorite, "nessun dorma" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdTBml4oOZ8 After doing somethings for the Opera House, I have all the respect for these performers.
    As far as pop music, Cher has always been my favorite fem singer, and the ZZ Tops are just a few to mention here.
    Another favorite ( Celtic ) that naturally goes along with Loreena McKennitt, and Andreas Vollenweider, (now that I have listened to him), is John Doan" Eire Isle Of Saints" CD. "Where Horses of Faery Hide" is one that I like to mediate to. http://popup.lala.com/pop[...]7378354
    So much fantastic music to set or change moods, keep it going ladies, I am getting some good schooling from this thread.
    Tammy
    • 308 posts
    March 4, 2010 9:06 PM GMT
    Now I see where it went, on well, I added some more things. I see Pavarotti link did not come through on both?????????????
    Sorry about the double post.
    Tammy
  • March 4, 2010 10:11 PM GMT

The good news for me is I’m expecting more rain this weekend, so I’ll be in a mood to review and try many of these suggestions + my new Andreas Vollenweider DVD will be here tomorrow.

Jennifer
  • March 5, 2010 1:07 AM GMT
    HI All,
    I have strange tastes so here it goes....

Mi mancherai (II Postino) - sung by Josh Groban on Live at the Greek Album

Wonderful Tonight - sung by Eric Clapton on One More Car, One more Driver

Nights in White Satin - sung by the Moody Blues

Nothing can change this love - sung by Sam Cooke on Best of Sam Cooke

I Remember Clifford - played by Arturo Sandoval on I remember Clifford Album

Le Quattro Staglioni (Vivaldi Four Seasons) - (Trevor Pinnock conducting)

Stairway to Heaven - by Led Zeppelin

I put a spell on you and Simply Beautiful - sung by Queen Latifah on the Dana Owens Album (her real name).

Morning Sojourn - by David Benoit on Freedom at Midnight

White Rabbit - by Jefferson Airplane

Music of the Night - sung by Michael Crawford on In Concert live Album.

Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress - sung by the Hollies

So much for a mini-tour of my favorites on my Ipod.

Hugz,
    MichelleLynn

• 434 posts
    March 5, 2010 5:56 AM GMT
    yes Melody....but Pete Seeger heard it from Woody Guthrie first
    • 33 posts
    March 7, 2010 3:01 AM GMT
    Wow, Be gone for work and college work for a few days and see what happens . First off, Evanescence I would not put in as Operatic Metal. Listen side by side with Tarja and you will definitely hear the difference. One of the big things is that with E. you get the Amy as a focal point for the singing on every song and the others backing her. In Operatic you really get a sense that the singer is weaving their voice in, through and around the others, it gives a different feel and focus. It's just my opinion. I've also noticed that at different times there is a shift in focus to other members of the group in Operatic so it is a whole band experience. E. really doesn't have that type of thing going on fully, yet. There are some elements every once in a great while but, not enough to really re-classify them *shrugg*.
    Oh, I may not be a Clapton fan but Wonderful Tonight is my favorite song of his and you also mentioned that Hollies song that is so great and is always on my mp3 playlist there were a couple of others to that I really liked in there that I am so glad you mentioned. Although, I like When the Levee Breaks by Zeppelin more. Just be careful what you random play Zep. with, don't ask... I think maybe an interesting new thread would be who we would like to have in our "Dream Band" I think we have enough musicians in here to get a really good lineup list, There is a male vocalist I would have to put in for the eyecandy, although he does have a really, really good voice. I'm savoring, err.. uhm... *BLUSH* saving the name for later.

Well off to bed and then work for me, Nighters all,

Michelle
  • March 7, 2010 7:09 AM GMT
    I spent the better part of yesterday watching “The Magical Journeys of Vollenweider” DVD and highly recommend this to anyone with a taste for atmospheric flowing music suitable for a trans-portive listening experience or merely background music while engaged in other activities.

It satisfies my own personal definition of “beautiful music”. As indicated, it includes the feature career retrospective, concert performances - including a live interpretation in full of “Down to the Moon”, music videos, interviews and behind the scenes information. What a bargain. I’d never known much about Andreas’ background or personality - he’s a fascinating individual. The harp is an instrument you caress with your body and it must be a marvelous experience to play one properly. Andreas has bonded completely with the harp and has developed a wonderful touch and tone. Great stuff.

Jennifer
    • 308 posts
    March 7, 2010 5:18 PM GMT
    Thanks Jennifer, and Lucy, for recommending such a great artist as Andreas. Jennifer, it sounds like the DVD “The Magical Journeys of Vollenweider” will be such a great choice.This thread has been very inspirational.
    Tammy
    • 105 posts
    March 8, 2010 8:35 PM GMT
    Hi Michelle,

Thank you very much for your observations on Evanescence - I came upon the band on the recommendation of someone who likened them to Nightwish (of whom I was already fond) and I found enough similarity (mainly in the strong female vocals and intensity of the music) to impress me. I take your point about the interplay between voice and music, very much integral to Nightwish, and not to Evanescence, and it's nice (and informative) to have the benefit of the opinion of someone so obviously well-versed in the genre as yourself

Hugs,

Judith

• March 8, 2010 9:33 PM GMT
    I don't know if it would qualify for the "most beautiful" but I love "The Seven Deadly Finns" by Brian Eno. It's so daft, with great guitar, and yodelling!
  • March 8, 2010 11:07 PM GMT
    Nah you're thinkin of the other one.