Your opinion - most beautiful music ever

• 1017 posts
    February 27, 2010 8:08 PM GMT
    Hi Jennifer,

It's more pop than classical, but for me it would have to be "Norwegian Wood" from the Beatle's Rubber Soul album. It's, to my ears, just about perfect.

Best,
    Melody
    • 1017 posts
    February 27, 2010 8:43 PM GMT
    Hi Jennifer,

I love all of Rubber Soul, too. I think it was the point in their careers where they went from "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "She Loves You" pop stuff (though I love the early stuff too) to their later true musical compositions like "Julia" and "Blackbird".

Best,
    Melody

ps, Revolver is a close second in my mind!
    • 1652 posts
    February 27, 2010 10:34 PM GMT
    Helluva question, Jennifer.
    Debussy wrote some lovely piano music, but I always thought Chopin had the edge. Sometimes it’s difficult to tell between them, but Debussy was generally more “flowing” while Chopin had a certain technicality, but in no way lacking emotion. Chopin went slightly bonkers later in life, perhaps that’s why I like him. His “famous” raindrop prelude sounds (to me) simplistically beautiful, but it’s a bugger to play!
    Beethoven and Mozart also had a tendency to blow me away during piano lessons; some of their lesser known piano music (they wrote everything from beginners’ stuff to virtuoso pieces) are just awesome, so moving, so sweet.
    But I don’t play, or listen to much of that sort of stuff these days, shame on me.
    I can tell you that the most beautiful music in the world is written by a Swiss harpist called Andreas Vollenweider. To choose one piece of his above all others would be virtually impossible. He is unrestricted by style or genre or technical ability, his music is often quirky, to some an acquired taste, but once you get to know him, you’ll find some pieces that will tug at your heart as strongly as the greatest love you have ever known. Absolutely, truly beautiful stuff. I saw him live last year, and discovered that “breathtaking” could actually mean literally taking your breath away. So beautiful - there simply aren’t the words…
    I was also a big fan of The Beatles in my formative years, they really were great songsmiths. “A day in the Life” sticks in my mind, and “Something” (George was my favourite) and many others really. Such great, haunting melodies.
    Music is a huge part of my life, “most beautiful music ever” is such a difficult question because there is so much to choose from, but for me it has to be Andreas.
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    February 27, 2010 11:34 PM GMT
    Awesome, Jennifer, you are now officially my favourite person on TW! Despite mentioning him several times, no-one else here seems to have heard of Andreas Vollenweider. He’s well known on the continent, and has worked a lot in the States, but English people tend to say, “Andreas WHO?!” (It’s a difficult name for them, bless, and they can’t seem to get past that – how could they take anyone seriously with such an unpronounceable name).
    Down to the Moon is great, they all are, his first two major albums are really special to me. I also recently bought the DVD, “The Magical Journeys of Andreas Vollenweider”, it’s worth every penny, showing live performances from the last 25 years, and gives you an idea of just how big he is; employing massive orchestras, brilliant session musicians from all over the world, and having such insignificant figures as the Dalai Lama onstage with him. The sound and concert settings are amazing, and the chat and documentaries (it’s a 2-dsic set) are intriguing.
    I’d highly recommend it to any music lover.
    xx
    • 2068 posts
    February 27, 2010 11:55 PM GMT

There are 2 that really do it for me. One song by Luciano Pavarotti, called " Nessun Dorma" ( none shall sleep). But my REAL favourite is by a band called Lonestar & the song's called " Amazed". To me its the most beautiful song ever & its the reason why its mine & charllet's special song.

Lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 1652 posts
    February 28, 2010 1:24 AM GMT
    Yes Janis, very wrong, sorry about my irony.
    Someone once made a fuss to me about no-one ever having heard of my hero (someone who played in a band in dilapidated working men’s clubs). I tried to point out that just cos he'd never heard of him it didn't mean that no-one else had.
    Seeing one of the most famous people in the world onstage watching Andreas perform and then presenting him with a yellow sash, just kind of brought home how small-minded this person was. 15 million albums in 47 countries performing in some of the most prestigious concert halls in the world… but my friend still thought he was more famous having played for a couple of years on his local club circuit. It kinda pissed me off to be honest, so I just gave up trying to explain.
    Nessun Dorma is wonderful (Vollenweider has performed live with Pavarotti too).
    Other beautiful pieces – “Time to say Goodbye” (I like the Sarah Brightman/Andrea Bocelli version), always gets me holding back a little tear.
    “For You”, I like both the original, Christine McVie version and Eva Cassidy’s cover.
    And even more random – “Vide Cor Meum” from the film “Hannibal”. A beautiful piece of opera written especially for the film.
    I’m sure I’ll think of more…
    xx
    • 1017 posts
    February 28, 2010 1:51 AM GMT
    Hi Marsha,

Believe it or don't, this morning (well before Jennifer started this thread) I dug through my music collection and I picked out a few songs including "Knights in White Satin" and "Little Deuce Coupe", to play while taking my dog to the park. Two of my all time favorites. (The others were "Sounds of Silence" , "Going Up the Country" and "Don't You Want Somebody to Love?")

Our politics may be very different, but it sounds like our musical tastes are similar.

Best,
    Melody
    • 2358 posts
    February 28, 2010 11:53 AM GMT
    How does a person pick one piece of music, when tastes are dictated by mood and surroundings.

How about Anton Dvorak cello concerto in B minor opus 104 first movement.
    Or Bizets Carmen. Ravels Bolero.
    Or much Later, the Richtous Brothers Unchained Melody, Jennifer Rush the power of love.

During my early years of transitioning I was touched and got emotional over Billy Fury, halfway to Paradise and Wonderous place.

Music is for the moment.

Cristine.

• 2068 posts
    March 1, 2010 11:06 PM GMT

Another quite BRILLIANT song has to be " Private Investigations" by Dire Straits. Mark Knopfler on Guitar.......simply amazing!

Lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 1652 posts
    March 2, 2010 12:13 AM GMT
    Does anyone else think Andrea Bocelli is completely gorgeous?
    Anyway, ok I’ve found it, this is THE most beautiful piece of music ever:
    http://www.youtube.com/wa[...]related
    I mean, come on girls – awwwww!
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    March 2, 2010 1:34 AM GMT
    Seriously though…
    I think a beautiful piece of music is always a beautiful piece of music, regardless of one’s mood. I may not want to listen to something at a particular time, but that does not mean that my mood has caused it to cease to be beautiful, if indeed it was beautiful in the first place. Of course, as with all art, beauty is in the eye, or in this case the ears of the beholder. It’s interesting to see how an individual’s personal “association” with a particular piece leaves them with the impression that it is beautiful. But if that’s how a piece impacts on them then that piece is truly beautiful, at least to them.
    I’m just waiting for someone to suggest that Judas Priest’s “Hell Bent for Leather” is their idea of a beautiful piece, or something…
    By the way Jennifer, I have Jean Luc Ponty’s “Cosmic Messenger” album, it’s wonderful, and has some beautiful moments. I love to hear an instrument taken beyond it’s usual/traditional restraints.
    Not one to ever complain about threads going off topic, I’d like to see what people’s opinions really are on the original question asked, not just a stream of favourite artists or songs, which could perhaps be reserved for another thread.
    So, apropos, humble apologies for going a little off-topic with my previous light-hearted post, but it was one of my favourite “beautiful” songs until Elmo got his furry little hands on it (actually, I did think it was wonderfully done!)
    Elmo was my least favourite Sesame Street muppet, but I found this snippet of information on Wikipedia: “Elmo is the only non-human puppet ever to testify before the U.S. Congress…"
    I kind of did a double-take on that before I got it. Beautiful!
    Finally, back on track I hope, here’s another beautifully sad piece of music, one of those pieces that makes me think, “I’d like this played at my funeral…”
    Mozart’s Requiem Mass in D Minor – Lacrimosa, which I think was actually completed by someone else after Mozart’s death. I’m sure not many people would consider sadness to be beautiful, but perhaps sad music can be so:
    http://video.google.com/v[...]7602934
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    March 2, 2010 1:17 PM GMT
    Michelle, I have to admit I had no idea who Rob Halford was when I read your post, and didn’t Google him to find out, (I know now!) but my tongue-in-cheek comment was in no way directed towards you personally or anyone else on this thread, and I am certainly not criticising anyone’s personal tastes. I just thought it was a great question, and would like to see what people’s opinion of “beautiful” music really is.
    My idea of beautiful music is something that makes you go, “Ohhhh my…” something that you feel in your heart, maybe like the striking feeling you get when you see an impossibly gorgeous man or woman (depending on your preference). It’s kind of a sudden melting feeling. Certainly not a tap your feet, get up and dance, bang your head sort of feeling. Music that can do that is indeed powerful, I play it every weekend and love to see the audience “affected” that way; it’s a mutual joy, but I don’t think that’s what we are talking about here.
    We are not supposed to agree on one or even a dozen songs, and I could not choose one piece above all others either. There is so much beautiful music in the world, it’s great to hear what moves people and be introduced to new beauty.
    I’m pretty much with you on the Country thing, it just doesn’t do it for me, but I have heard one or two songs (literally) that I think are really well written.
    Your Youtube links are new to me, Michelle, very interesting and quite lovely, thanks for those.
    Janey Woo, oh tsk. Up yours too!
    xx
    • 2358 posts
    March 3, 2010 9:58 AM GMT
    In my previous post, when I said the mood dictates the music I choose it does'nt make the other music any less beautiful or less stimulating, I listen to music type to reflect my mood, except when I'm realy down, then I listen to some Leonard Cohen, Which then makes me think, this cannot get any worse and it cheers me up lol. Actually I like some of Leonard Cohen its very poignant.

Cristine.
  • March 3, 2010 11:06 PM GMT
    I think the Chopin Nocturnes are beautiful.

Modern piano music also does it for me. Spiegel im Spiegel by Arvo Part, the solo piano music of Philip Glass, the solo piano music of John Cage.

And little-known stuff such as Which Ever Way Your Nose Bends by Simon Rackham. It's longer than the longest live version of Dazed and Confused, and it uses more pianos than are strictly necessary.
    • 1017 posts
    March 4, 2010 5:54 PM GMT
    Hi Doanna,

Your statement: "What the world needs is a law that makes it mandatory to have at least one musical instrument in every home." reminded me of a quote that goes something like:

"happiness could be had if every child was issued a banjo at birth"

I've seen it attributed to both folk singer Pete Seegar and "Peanuts" comic strip creator Charles Schultz.

Best,
    Melody
    • 1017 posts
    March 5, 2010 1:18 AM GMT
    Hi MichelleLynn,

Seven are among my favorites, never heard of the others. You've sent me on a musical scavenger hunt!

Best,
    Melody

• 1017 posts
    March 5, 2010 12:53 PM GMT
    Hi Doanna,

I hadn't heard that before, but it makes sense. Guthrie pioneered so many things in his, way too short, life.

Best,
    Melody
    • 2573 posts
    March 8, 2010 6:10 AM GMT
    Christine,

I agree with you. Mood makes the difference in what is "most beautiful" at any particular time.

While the first piece of music I fell in love with was Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 14, I am just as likely to want to listen to Holst's THE PLANETS, "Knights in White Satin", the soundtrack for the movie CONAN THE BARBARIAN, which is full of classical works, or the soundtrack for MY FAIR LADY. The time and place and my emotions always determine what is "beautiful" at that time. Music is emotion and that is what is wonderful about it.
    • 2068 posts
    March 8, 2010 10:54 PM GMT

Would that be the same Brian Eno that has worked with U2?

lol xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie