Starving

• 1980 posts
    February 15, 2011 2:14 AM GMT
    Mellie, honey, you are too much. ROTFLMAO

@Traci, I love Bobby Flay and watch the throwdowns all the time. We have a TV set in the den which is where my computer is, most of the time I have the Cooking Channel on as background noise but do perk up my ears for certain people, Bobby being one of them as well as Jamie. And I love Rachel Ray mainly because her style of cooking is kind of slapdash, just like mine, a handful of this and a pinch or two of that.

Hugs...Joni Mari
  • February 11, 2011 11:46 AM GMT
    I once found a very old fish supper in my tumble-dryer.
    The evils of drink (I think).
    • 1017 posts
    February 14, 2011 1:16 AM GMT
    Hi Joni Mari,

The thanks for this forum's quick acceptance should go to you. You took a random comment and followed through to create what seems to be an immediately popular forum.

And, yes, thanks to Cristine, who by my count has contributed more recipes than anyone else so far.

Me, I'm just wishing there was someone to clean up my kitchen....especially the pasta sauce that somehow managed to splatter on the ceiling...

Best,
    Mellie
  • February 16, 2011 3:30 AM GMT
    Hi Tracy,
    I thought and thought about your offer of a throwdown, but, you know, I am a shy and demure lass who would be awfully embarrassed to win and even more chagrined to lose. However, I am going to try your recipe for fried rice as soon as I can. BTW, I live in central Florida; it is a quiet region of the country, so much so that for excitement, people come from near and far just to see some big mouse they have in a park nearby here, which they even gave a name, "Mickey".
    Hugs, Louise
    • 746 posts
    February 16, 2011 1:50 AM GMT
    Good one Mel!!! (smile)
  • February 11, 2011 11:30 AM GMT
    Oh! dear, I was so looking forward to something new for todays dinner. so its egg and chips, oh its Friday, sorry fish and chips. make with the recipes, please.
  • February 16, 2011 2:20 PM GMT
    I had a fish supper last night (from the chippie, not the the tumble- dryer) just as a treat, and it was yummy!
  • February 16, 2011 4:26 PM GMT
    So did I Janis! ...Great minds!!
    I had curry sauce and peas with mine! mmmm
    • 34 posts
    February 16, 2011 8:40 PM GMT
    And it wasn't even Friday! Fish and chips with mushy peas is my Friday lunchtime treat.

Try to be good during the week with lots of salads and then blow it with comfort food on Friday
    • 1980 posts
    February 12, 2011 2:33 AM GMT
    I've encountered the term "hob" in reading that don't seem to involve ferrets or sprites (though, @ you Mel, I have read a fairly lengthy sci-fi short story that involved a woman falling down a hob hole, so to speak. I mention this only because I know you're into science fiction. For the life of me I can't remember the title, it was in some anthology years ago. If anyone can help out with that, please do. I hate things that nag at my mind.<lol> I digress.) From the context I always took the word, hob that is, to mean either a piece of wrought iron for holding various things up in front of an open fireplace or perhaps the very edge of the hearth closest to the fire. Which, I suppose, not being very used to cooking at an open hearth, I guess would be where most cooking would be done.

Anyway, this is so fun. The cooking part and the language and usage parts. Can anyone tell my minor was in linguistics? Or perhaps philology to you Brit girls.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 1652 posts
    February 12, 2011 10:38 AM GMT
    Well done Melody for deducing that kitchen cookers don’t come with spirits, ferrets, elves or devils fitted as standard.
    It is indeed the top cooking surface on a stove, or a stove-top burner if you prefer, be it gas, electric, solid fuel, induction etc…
    It can mean each individual “ring”, as in a 4-hob cooker, or all of them combined, as in a 4-ring hob.
    So I have a 2-hob Aga and a single hob induction plate.
    The only other hob I’ve ever heard of is a hobgoblin, but how that differs to a regular goblin I’m not sure.
    I’m looking forward to seeing Louise’s version of fried rice, in the meantime, my top tip for making fried rice is to boil the rice a couple of hours in advance, drain and fluff with a fork to separate grains and leave until the rice is dry to the touch. Slightly undercook the rice too, not so it’s still crunchy, just firm. If you haven’t got time to cook the rice in advance, you can dry it with a hairdryer while fluffing with a fork. Frying wet rice is doomed to make a soggy mess. For basic fried rice I add an egg after frying the rice for a few minutes, scramble it up in the pan and stir it into the rice, then at the last minute add a few dashes of soy sauce. Plain rice is so dull…
    xx
    • 1017 posts
    February 12, 2011 1:51 AM GMT
    Hi Lucy,

I'm not familiar with the term "hobs".

Among the Wikipedia definitions are:
    Hob (folklore), a household spirit in Northern England
    A male ferret
    A generic term for various Dwarf-like and Elf-like magical creatures in Germanic folklore
    A devil
    The top cooking surface on a stove

I'll discount Northern England spirits, ferrets, Elves and devils, but how is "top cooking surface on a stove" different from cooking on a stovetop burner?

Funny how the British English and American English terms have come to the forefront so quickly in this forum. (Just wait til the Aussies weight in with the "real definitions", lol.)

Best,
    Mellie
    • 2068 posts
    February 11, 2011 11:25 PM GMT

Let me educate you Melody, " Neeps" is another word for Swede. I gotta tell you too that there is so much MORE to Scottish Cuisine than just haggis. Take a wee look for yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w[...]cuisine

Anna-Marie xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    • 734 posts
    February 11, 2011 11:27 PM GMT
    Hi Melody,
    'Neeps' are swedes (or turnips I would have thought).
    I can see this being a forum of the easily confused. On another thread Joni mentioned a 'broiler pan' and a 'broiler'. What on earth are they? After a little searching I think - and I'm not 100% - that it's American for 'grill pan' and 'grill'. Ho hum ...
    xx
    • 1980 posts
    February 14, 2011 12:58 AM GMT
    Thank you, Mellie. Yes, please, if you have a new recipe or cooking tip or anything, please, please, please, if you don't mind, please make it a new thread with the name of the recipe or technique or whatever in the subject line. I am going to have to scour all the previous threads when we make the move to our new home and make sure that all the wonderful tips and advice and recipes get moved over in some sort of way that makes it convenient for us to find something specific instead of just some hodge-podge of randomness.

Girls, and guys, I truly want to thank all of you so much for joining in this forum. It has drawn more participation than I ever thought it would. And extra special thanks to you Melody for kicking it off and to Crissie for all her help and encouragement. Tgirls rock! We are so talented and together in so many ways.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 1980 posts
    February 11, 2011 11:28 PM GMT
    Gosh Anna-Marie, now I'm confused too. You guys serve Swedes? Isn't that against the law or something? Surely not city dwellers, perhaps feral ones? Ones gone wild? I am so confused.
    • 1017 posts
    February 12, 2011 7:48 PM GMT
    Hi Traci,

Your mention of Viet Namese, reminds me of when I first joined the work group I mentioned. It took a while for me to be accepted by my Chinese (a mix of China born and Chinese heritage) co-workers. Julie Lu was very suspicious of me and she took Herb Chen (2nd generation Chinese) and I to a Viet Namese restaurant and ordered a sort of blood soup dish. I was obviously being tested. I tried it but Herb refused. I was pretty much accepted after that.

Traci, please (and I'm sure Joni Mari will agree with this) post your recipes, techniques, and whatever food/cooking ideas you have to this forum. That's what it is for...

Best,
    Mellie
    • 1980 posts
    February 11, 2011 11:13 PM GMT
    Hi Lucy-

Got it. Sheperd's Pie has sheperds in it and Cottage Pie would have cowboys in it, I guess. Whoops, I mean Sheperd's Pie has lamb and Cottage Pie has beef. Got it.

No knocking eggs and chips (or eggs and home fries) here. I love them, and with a strip or two of bacon or some ham, you are ready to deal with anything the day can bring you. Simple foods, simply prepared.

As a matter of fact, I do have a recipe for sloppy joes. Hmm, I'm not sure what would be in a bolognese sauce, though to me it brings to mind a spaghetti or marinara sauce. Most of the sloppy joes I've had have a ketchup based sauce laced with a bit of Worcestershire sauce and other ingredients. Anyway, off the top of my head, here's how I would do it. I imagine there are as many variations as there are cooks or perhaps memories of school lunches.

SLOPPY JOE SAUCE

UTENSILS:

Medium size skillet for cooking the beef and sauce
    Spatula and spoons for the usual reasons
    Measuring spoons and cups for, well, measuring things

INGREDIENTS:

Approx 1 lb ground beef (or minced beef for you Brit girls)
    1 medium onion, finely diced
    Approx 1-1/2 cups or so of finely diced green peppers (bell peppers, that is)
    Approx 1-1/2 cups or so of finely diced celery
    3-4 cloves fresh garlic minced fine or pressed
    1 cup water
    1 cup prepared ketchup
    1 heaping tbsp brown sugar
    1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
    1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
    Dash of hot pepper sauce or to taste (go easy, you can add more but you can't take it out)
    Hamburger buns or kaiser rolls

PREPERATION:

Brown the beef until lightly browned. Drain off any excess fat but leave a little so the other ingredients don't stick. Add the onion, pepper, celery and garlic and sautee until onions are transparent.

Add the rest of the ingredients except for the buns and cook until the sauce thickens. Serve approx 2 heaping tbsps (or more) to each bun. You can toast the buns a little first if you want. You can also add grated cheese, raw onion slices, tomato slices and so on like a regular burger, though this is frowned on by purists.

Serve with chips (not Brit chips, potato chips) or fries and coleslaw or a green salad. Kids love sloppy joes, maybe it's the name or something. Anything you might drink on a picnic goes with them, beer, iced tea, sodas, cold juice. I don't know what wine would go best with it though.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 1017 posts
    February 11, 2011 11:09 PM GMT
    Hi Anna-Marie,

I've had (endured) haggis, and I assume tatties are potatoes, but wtf are "neeps"? I'm 1/4 Scots so I don't want to sound negative, but most of what I've been served as Scottish cuisine consisted of boiled meat innards with unspiced veggies....(served to the soothing tones of bagpipes to settle the stomach).

Best,
    Mellie
    • 2068 posts
    February 11, 2011 10:57 PM GMT

You Have'nae LIVED until you've had a plate of Haggis, Neeps & Tatties.....mmmmmmmmmmmm

lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
  • February 11, 2011 10:57 PM GMT
    Cod does'nt usually have a bone down the middle thats either rock or huss, which is tastier than cod. Chips, of course I know what real chips are, lol chunky chips like a fat mans finger. Shepherds pie, yes made with lamb, onions, field mushrooms and sliced potatoes on top, can be topped of with cheese. probably originating from wales. Cottage pie, carrots onions, minced beef. and topped with mashed potato. we sometimes go to a fish restaurant up near Waterloo, not far from the Old Vic .proper fish and chips, and they serve wine and bring the gherkins and onions round on a tray, lol. often see celebs in there.
    • 1652 posts
    February 11, 2011 10:07 PM GMT
    Yes, we even have Frenchfries in rural North England.
    Yorkshire is of course home to the original Fish and Chip Palace, now a well-known chain across the UK – “Harry Ramsden’s”. Over on my side, the North West, fish and chips are pretty bloody good too. I was shocked the first time I had fish and chips in London (before HR’s had arrived); the chips were awful and the fish wasn’t haddock it was cod, and had a bloody great bone through it, ugh!
    Rose is right about shepherd’s pie too; that would be made with lamb, cottage pie with minced beef (we usually just call that mince).
    Don’t knock egg and chips, I was brought up on it!
    Have you got a recipe for Sloppy Joe’s, Joni? I had one while I was in the States and it seemed to be basically Bolognese sauce in a bun. Curious, I thought…
    xx
    • 364 posts
    February 11, 2011 8:34 PM GMT
    French fries arrived worldwide via McDonalds
    • 1980 posts
    February 12, 2011 1:47 AM GMT
    Hi everyone, oh yes, I can see where terminology is going to lead to a great deal of fun. It's always good to learn new things.<smile>

Not to add to the confusion, but what Mellie said about a grill is correct, at least on this side of the pond. Grilling in American parlance is to cook meat or fish or chicken and so on over coals such as charcoal or sometimes a gas fire, on an open metalwork grid until done. There are all sorts of grills from very basic to very fancy. What Aussie girls call a barbie, I think, which has also passed into American parlance.

Broiling, to me, means to cook meat, usually steaks or chops in the oven with heat from above either gas or electric just as she described it using a shallow metal pan that usually consists of two parts, the top part with slits cut in it that the meat rests on and the bottom part that catches the drippings and keeps them off the bottom of the oven. You can also run things under a broiler for a few minutes just to brown them a bit.

***Whoops, I still have time to do a bit of editing. I just saw Lucy's post about barbecues and so on. Barbecue to describe the device as well as the technique of cooking on it are kind of interchangeable with grill or grilling here in the US. Barbecue can also describe the food itself, but I have not heard "grill" used in that sense.

I think it's going to be a lot of fun trading recipes and ideas and techniques from all over. Fortunately for me, I live in a pretty good sized city with a huge number of various ethnic cuisines and markets, so I can probably find nearly any ingredient with a little bit of time and effort. Speaking for myself, I am pretty adventurous about food, I'll try nearly anything at least once. Is anyone else a fan of Andrew Zimmerman who hosts "BIzzare Foods" here in the US on the Travel Channel? I'm nowhere near as brave as him, but I will take a chance.

Oh, and btw, I usually do sloppy joes the way Mel does them, with the glop from a can.<lol> That is on the perhaps one or two times a year I feel like having one.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 1652 posts
    February 12, 2011 1:42 AM GMT
    Yes Melody, we have outdoor BBQ devices too, we call it a barbecue, though grill is creeping into use.
    We manage to get the barbecue out about 3 days a year, at least here in the north...
    And in fact we have grillpans like that too, raised ridges that make steak look like it was cooked on a barbecue, we also call them grillpans. As I said earlier though, the pan that went in the grill was called the grill pan, and probably still is by those manufacturers who provide such a receptacle.
    xx
    • 1017 posts
    February 12, 2011 12:54 AM GMT
    Hi Lucy,

On this side of the pond a "grill" is usually an outdoor BBQ devise using either charcoal or propane to heat a rack that food sits on while being cooked, often covered.

A "grill pan" is a skillet or frying pan that has raised ridges that simulate the above on the stovetop. I've made a sort of personal goal to find the best one (I love grilled steaks) and have tried stainless steel, cast iron, porcelain aluminium and hard anodized and I've found the latter to be best.

Best,
    Mellie

• 1017 posts
    February 12, 2011 1:06 AM GMT
    Hi Louise,

My dislike of sloppy joes dates back to my school cafeteria experiences like you describe. One recalls "mystery meat"... (I'm sure Joni's home made version is much better.)

Please post your fried rice recipe. My attempts always turn out soggy or burnt...

Best,
    Mellie
  • February 12, 2011 12:51 AM GMT
    Sloppy Joes bring back memories of High School since the school cafeteria seemed to serve them for lunch 2 or 3 times a week. I think it was because they could make the filling in a large batch. So "Not Sloppy Joes again" was often heard. I don't know how they made them nor do I want to know ever. However, I do know how to make a tasty version of fried rice. Interested?

Louise
    • 734 posts
    February 12, 2011 12:40 AM GMT
    Thanks Lucy. [and Melody].
    Seems this is another linguistic disparity. I'm now assuming that 'broil' is Americanese for 'grill' and 'grill' in Americanese can mean something else! [These should be known as 'crisps and chips' debates, maybe another thread is in order... ]
    Btw Lucy, I much prefer the overhead seperate grill. Far more convenient. xx
  • February 11, 2011 7:38 PM GMT
    JONI! Shepherds pie made with minced beef? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Shepherds is guys that herd sheep and make pies from their meat.
    Over here a pie made with minced beef is called Cottage Pie.
    Forget what Cristine says about chips - poor girl has only known London chips - and come have some from up here in Halifax. Absolutely gorgeous. best eaten with haddock in plain batter with a carton of curry sauce to pour over the lot. And a carton of mushy peas too is very nice.
    Trouble is that though this plateful is delicious it has about 10,000 calories so is a once a month treat.
    I once rented a flat over a fish shop and the owner told me that he had several customers come for fish and chips for lunch and tea aka Dinner.

For my op I had bowel cleanse and then five days fast that made me realise we can get along quite well without all the junk food and now I'm home I can't face a big plateful so mostly make a big bowl of thin soup with a bit of broccoli, carrot and onion and about two ounces of chicken, ham or beef in it. Light and tasty and big bowl takes ages to eat so I feel I have had a proper meal.
    • 1652 posts
    February 12, 2011 12:25 AM GMT
    What you describe Melody, sounds just like what we would call a grill and grill pan.
    To grill something in this country generally means to heat from above. Nowadays this is usually provided by an independent element in the top of the oven, but when I was a kid, kitchen cookers were invariably comprised of oven, hobs, and a separate grill (with its own grill pan).
    How do you make toast in the jungle?
    Put it under the griller.
    Of course with the advent of the George Foreman Grill, and other influences from abroad, “a grill” can now mean other things.
    Think I’ll give the sloppy Joe’s a miss; wonderfully explained Melody!
    xx
    • 746 posts
    February 12, 2011 5:36 PM GMT
    Breaking self imposed silence in here as I seem to be a thread killer....

Mel, I make the world's best fried rice...the Chinese come to me!

Lucy is on to something about prepping the rice...actually, I have a rice cooker and will make 4-6 cups at a time...then I place it all in a large cake dish and store in the refrigerator for 48 hours or so...I'll go out and mix it up some during that time...the key is to have dried up rice so that when you cook it in the wok, it absorbs all the added oils and spices....

In the wok, I'll toss in lots of minced up garlic, scallions, and at least 4 packs of peas to some heated up cooking oil (peanut or chili or sesame works well too)....heat and stir for about two minutes....
    Add in your rice and mix thoroughly...
    Pour some regular soy sauce on it and stir....add some salt....
    Now add lots of dark soy (gives it that rich, deep brown color plus added flavor) and stir...
    Toss in chopped chicken, pork, shrimp or whatever or all....stir some more...
    Now add 4-6 scrambled (lightly cooked) eggs and stir lots....

Sample it...sample it some more...then finally grab a bowl and eat like a Viking!

Almost impossible to ruin unless the rice is wet....

Traci
    • 1980 posts
    February 12, 2011 4:21 PM GMT
    As far as Swedes, I'm just hoping that "eat" is being used in the post-WW2 sense of the verb.

@Mellie, I think mincemeat actually had real meat in it back in the day, cooked and finely chopped and mixed with the fruits and spices. Liberally dousing foods with strong wine or spirits was a way of preserving them before there were fridges. Sounds pretty yuck to me, but then I've never tried mincemeat with meat in it.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 252 posts
    February 12, 2011 4:05 PM GMT
    Thank you, Joni!! I simply ADORE shepherd's pie!!

Yummy!!

Z
    • 252 posts
    February 12, 2011 4:08 PM GMT
    I'm assuming that when you say "Swedes" you don't mean tall, blondes from the country near Norway. Or do you?

Z
    • 252 posts
    February 12, 2011 4:19 PM GMT
    The term "barbeque" in the US kind of differs from region to region here, actually. Barbeque in the north often means "grilling" in the south. "Grilling" involves cooking over coals at high temerature. However, barbeque in the south means something very, very different. In the south, this ivolves usually using wood smoke to cook the meat. The meat is nowhere near great heat and is cooked at very low temperatures for a very long time. Cooking times of 24-48 hours are not out of the ordinary.

The way the barbeque is prepared differs from region to region as well and every region thinks it does barbeque the best. In the Atlantic south, barbeque in a vinegar base is the way to go. In Texas, it's all about the meat. If you put a bunch of barbeque sauce on your meat in Texas, odds are, people will givve you strange looks. But if you like sauce, Kansas City is the place for you. Most of the great barbeque sauces around can trace their roots back to KC. In Memphis, they do a little bit of everything and they also think they do everything best. It's really a matter of your personal tastes. I used to be a fool for real Texas barbeque but like an alcoholic, I now keep my consumption in check.

Z
    • 1017 posts
    February 12, 2011 2:59 PM GMT
    Here's another one of those language things that was mentioned by someone earlier in this thread.

Where I grew up (in the US) the term "mincemeat" is not the same as ground beef. Rather it is a meatless pie filling made from dried fruit, spices and hard liquor. Never understood why it was called mincemeat.

I'm seeing that interpreting recipes across the pond may have hazards. A hamburger made with a patty of what we call mincemeat would make, IMHO, the worst veggie burger of all time.

Best,
    Mellie

• 1017 posts
    February 12, 2011 2:01 PM GMT
    Hi Joni Mari,

There's also hobnail boots. You may think this has nothing to do with cooking, but I once had a GF who made anything she tried to cook taste like...

Best,
    Mellie
    • 1652 posts
    February 12, 2011 1:26 PM GMT
    No no no, Cristine, a skillet is a flat pan, like a frying pan. A grill pan can also be called a griddle pan, It's best not to use oil in these; kind of the point of them is that the ridges allow you to cook without oil and without the meat sticking to the pan.
    If you really want to use oil rub it on the food, don't put it in the pan, otherwise the oil will just sit in the grooves it'll be really smokey.
    xx
  • February 12, 2011 1:09 PM GMT
    The pan you describe with the raised ridges... Cast iron skillet,, best way to do a steak on them is lightly wipe some oil on it, stick it on the heat till it has a faint blue haze above it , then slap on the steaks, keep turning steaks until they are how you like them, tip never wash a skillet,... clean with a stiff brush and more oil, and wipe clean with paper towels. treat it the same as you would a wok
    • 746 posts
    February 12, 2011 8:39 PM GMT
    Recipe #1 : Udon noodles w/ peanut sauce

Who doesn't enjoy a dish of pasta and that delightful Thai peanut sauce topped with the cool, crunchiness of cucumbers?

Well....you cannot mess this one up unless you over boil the noodles...and it comes out perfect as in restaurant grade good every time!

Cook 4 oz. of Udon noodles
    Drain well
    Toss 1/3 to 1/2 cup of peanut sauce (store bought) and 1/2 cup of chopped, fresh cucumber
    Add 2-3 tbsps. of crushed fresh peanuts on top...

Serve hot or cold!!

Yummy!

• 746 posts
    February 12, 2011 8:45 PM GMT
    Recipe #2 : Homemade peanut sauce

1 cup of dry, roasted peanuts
    1/3 cup of water
    1/2 tsp of dark soy
    2 tsps of sesame oil
    2 tbsps of brown sugar
    2 tbsps of fish sauce
    lemon juice as needed
    1 tsp of chili sauce

Use that on the Udon noodles!
    • 746 posts
    February 12, 2011 8:49 PM GMT
    Recipe # 3 : Dumpling sauce

And while we're onto sauces, here's a recipe for that delicious dumpling sauce that it is served when you order out...

1 cup dark soy
    2 1/2 tbsps of white sugar
    1/2 cup of white vinegar
    1/4 tsp of salt

stir it up....add/delete according to taste!

Yum!!!
    • 734 posts
    February 12, 2011 9:16 PM GMT
    Melody: 'Where I grew up (in the US) the term "mincemeat" is not the same as ground beef. Rather it is a meatless pie filling made from dried fruit, spices and hard liquor. Never understood why it was called mincemeat.'

Here's an Elizabethan recipe for mince pies.

My Lady of Portland's Mince Pyes

Take four pounds of Beef, Veal or Neats-Tongues, and eight pounds of suet; and mince both the meat and Suet very small, before you put them together. Then mingle them well together and mince it very small, and put to it six pounds of Currants washed and picked very clean. Then take the Peel of two Lemons, and half a score of Pippins, and mince them very small. Then take above and Ounce of Nutmeg, and a quarter of an ounce of Mace, some Cloves and Cinnamon, and put them together, and sweeten them with Rose-water and Sugar. And when you are ready to put them into your Paste, take Citron and Orangiadoe, and slice them very thin, and lay them upon the meat. If you please, put dates upon the top of them. And put amongst the meat an Ounce of Caraway seeds. Be sure you have very fine Paste.

Not entirely sure what 'Neats-Tongues' were but obviously, over time, the meat content was reduced until it was non-existant...
    • 1980 posts
    February 13, 2011 3:02 PM GMT
    No you're not.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 746 posts
    February 13, 2011 7:43 PM GMT
    Figured I would start with the sauces, etc. so that you can then apply them to your favorite courses...

Main courses will follow if anyone cares...yes? No? Anyone?

Traci
    • 1980 posts
    February 11, 2011 6:36 PM GMT
    Yep, cottage fries or home fries. Soft and hot inside, but fried so they're crispy on the outside or even with some little burnt bits. With a perfectly cooked egg or two, the whites firm but the yolks runny, and toast made from good wheat bread. Simple foods are often best.

So what do you call frenchfries over there? Long slivers of potato deep fried crisp and then liberally salted. While they're considered junk food, still if done right, they are very good. And honestly, Cristine, I really didn't think you would serve frenchfries and eggs together. Sounds like something only an impoverished university student would do.<lol> Though I have done that and far worse.
  • February 11, 2011 6:14 PM GMT
    French fried are defiinately not chips, lol, should imagine chips are what you call cottage fries, thick and chunky soft and yummy not crisped up slivers of potato
    • 1980 posts
    February 11, 2011 5:50 PM GMT
    Hmm, sounds like we may need some interpreting as well from British English to US English and vice-versa. Please, no fights over which is correct. As someone once said, "Britain and the US are two countried divided by a common language." Or something like that.

So chips in Britain are what we call home fries or cottage fries here in the US, right? Or are they what we call frenchfries? And what we call chips here are called crisps over there, right? Very thin slices of potato fried very crisp and salted, come in a bag, can't stop eating them if you start?

Anyway, while potatos and eggs does sound good and very comfortable and filling (and quick) on a cold winter evening, it sounds more like breakfast to me than dinner. But then again, being TG is all about breaking (or pushing, anyway) rules, isn't it?.

Here's a recipe I like for a fairly quick dinner, though it isn't fancy at all and you can use leftovers if you have them. It's a casserole with only a few ingredients and I'm sure most of you girls are familiar with it. Oh, and btw, I am so not above using pre-made ingredients, especially if I'm in a hurry. There is hardly any work at all to this dish, prep time is probably 20 minutes or so.

SHEPERD'S PIE

As usual I am not going to list amounts, just eyeball what you have and judge how much you want to make.

INGREDIENTS:
    Ground beef (hamburger)
    1/2 medium onion chopped fairly fine (more if you want)
    1 medium bag of frozen mixed veggies (corn, peas, carrots)
    Mashed potatos, left over ones if you have them or ones already maded from the deli. Of course you can make a fresh batch but it will certainly add considerably to your cooking time.
    Approx 1/2 cup (more or less) of grated cheddar cheese.

UTENSILS:
    Medium frying pan for the burger and onions
    Medium casserole for the pie
    Spatula, spoons, etc, for the usual reasons

PROCEDURE:
    Brown the meat well along with the onion. Pour off any excess fat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
    Put the meat and onions in the casserole and spread it out, then pour the veggies over in an even layer.
    Put the mashed potatos on top as a sort of crust, spreading it evenly and sprinkle the cheese on top.

Bake the dish for approximately 30-40 minutes in the oven at 350F (I leave it to you celsius type girls to do the math) until the ingredients are heated through and the cheese is toasty on top.

Serve with a nice green salad and beverage of your choice. Beer or ale goes nicely.

This dish keeps well in the freezer.

Enjoy.

Hugs...Joni Mari

• February 15, 2011 5:13 AM GMT
    Girls,
    All of these delicious recipes should be viewed with extreme caution. They can be extremely dangerous .... to our figures. Why, I gained a pound or two merely writing down the recipe for fried rice and then a couple more pounds just reading all of your delicious sounding recipes. I can only imagine what would happen at a cook-off with actual delicious food all around. "Serves 2 or 3" becomes "serves only 1". And I'm still trying to fit into some of the clothes I fell in love with that I didn't want to return.
    Hugs, Louise