Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Hormone City » To Hormone or not to Hormone?

To Hormone or not to Hormone?

Tags : None
  • Hi Girls,

I've recently started taking Black Cohosh, only on week 2, and was wondering if there was somebody else in a similar position.
    I haven't gone the synthetic route as yet, not sure if I want to go the whole way. The dosage I was using lowered my sex drive to the extent that I don't even notice I have a penis! Life without it wouldn't be so bad, I think?

Love

Irene

October 30, 2001 10:42 PM GMT
  • Two years ago,I realised the only option for me was to go 'all the way'.I fought my way through the 'system',and have now been on hormones for over eighteen months.If it is the right thing for you,you will know it.The effects are as much mental as physical.There is a serenity that comes from within,a wonderful sense of wellbeing.It is hard to describe,and I know others who have tried to explain it to me.
    If,on the other hand,you are not a true TS,apparently you soon find out,as your body will not like it.I have met two people who have been there,and stopped taking them after about two months.
    As for life 'without'? That is my goal.I transitioned at work,and am just waiting...
    Good luck to you,and anyone else thinking of taking the same path.
    Love, Sue.XX
    Sue. X Psychiatrists are like the eunuch in the harem. They know what transvestism is, they can describe it, they can demonstrate it, but they cant actually explain it!
      October 31, 2001 1:06 AM GMT
  • Hi Sue,

Thanks for the reply, yes I do feel a certain euphoria. Some people at work have been commenting how calm I seem, in fact I'll give the herbals a few more weeks and then go visit my doc to see about prescription hormones.
    I wonder if patches or pills are best, I think patches as the cause less strain on the liver.

Love

Irene
      November 3, 2001 9:36 PM GMT
  • Hi Irene,
     I want to start on hormones. Is black cohosh a fem hormone and if it is where can you buy it?  What is the cost and how much do you take? Can you buy it over the counter are do you have to go through a Dr.? I just want to inprove my breast and nipples. Thanks.
    Hugs and Kisses,
    Susan    (USA)
      November 12, 2001 11:17 PM GMT
  • Hi Girls

I've been taking a lot of natural hormone products now for about 12 months they have made quite a difference.  I got all my information from a web page that provides a lot of help http://lisbeth.freeservers.com/herbal.html- this is a report based on someone experiences following information she found in a newsgroup and it is very detailed.

I take Black Cohosh Tincture, Wild Yam Capsules, (and the cream when I remember), Agnus Castus, Saw Palmetto, vitamin e - there were some recommended products not available in the UK and I bought all from Holland and Barrett.  

The effect - I was losing weight at the same time but gained weight in the breast area and on my hips - as a result I can now fill an A cup comfortably  and my skin feel softer.  I also feel better myself - though that could be a Placebo effect.  The change was sufficiently different that after six months my ex girlfriend saw me with my shirt off and commented and I do not feel comfortable going swimming as a guy anymore  :-[

But I would say this - it is Male breast - not female breast - ie natural hormones redistribute fat but do not create breast tissue - and my nipples did not change at all. Great cleavage though and if I wear clothes to show it off I definitely do not get read anything like as much.  in fact I have even had someone turn round when I spoke and say - "Bloody hell love, you sounded just like a bloke."  :o

Some side effects – My nails are much more brittle and I have real trouble getting them to grow unless I wear clear polish or hardener all the time – I am also taking a vitamin supplement for Hair and nails, Vitamin B complex and Evening Primrose.

There was no loss of libido in fact it seemed to have increased.  I also take zinc because men lose a lot of zinc when they ejaculate.  Yeh I rattle as well  :)

What this did for me was to confirm that I wanted to go further and I have since bought the real thing on the web from New Zealand – Estradiol Patches and Spironlactone pills (Anti Androgen) – Unfortunately the source has closed down and I am now about to seek medical help and get them legally.  

After about five months – I am noticing a significant difference, though I am still taking the natural hormones as well. Now breast tissue is developing, my nipples are very sensitive and the is a noticeable decrease in libido, but I’m not worried about that – though I am not going for SRS.

Hope this helps
    Luv and Huggs Rikki xxx Proud to be Transgender
      November 13, 2001 6:42 PM GMT

• Hi Rikkiradoula,
     It's so sweet of you to take the time to help all of us. You have really help me and now I can start on my road to have the body I should have had. You are a true girl friend to help me this way.
    Love and Kisses,
    Susan :-*
      November 14, 2001 12:21 AM GMT
  • Hi Claire,

I don't know about other girls, but I have experienced a certain diminished need. I'm OK with that and don't find it a problem. There is a certain enhaced mood, a euphoric feeling somehow, as for any other side effects none physical. It's only been a month or so and no changes, beyond people at work telling me I'm much more pleasant. Does that mean I'm normally a NASTY COW??????

Love

Irene
      December 11, 2001 10:45 PM GMT
  • Hey hon, don't fret!  In Minneapolis there are many doctors and counselors you can turn to.  Do it right and do what you need to do for yourself.

Hugs,
    Elissa
      December 16, 2001 8:16 AM GMT
  • I would recommend thinking twice before taking the so-called natural hormones.  These phytoestrogens (and other plant-derived hormone mimics) are very mild.  Some people have had their bodies react to these substances by boosting testosterone output.  Not what you would want!

From what I understand, it's about 50/50 whether you will see any physical changes whatsoever.  The mental/emotional changes can be comforting, but if this is the case then maybe getting the real thing is what you need.

After 40 years of denial and delusion, thinking that I could play the male role and eventually find happiness, I am about to start HRT and move down the path.  I am TS, so to me it's simply necessary.  But each person has to make her own decision.

If it's that important, are you going to take half-measures?  Besides, with the phytoestrogens you are not saving any money!  They cost as much or more than the real thing.  Something to think about.

Elissa
      December 16, 2001 8:21 AM GMT
  • Hi Patty,

If you've had kidney problems the one possible route is hormone patches. You'll probably need a script for them so a visit to the doc is essential. I do have a friend who got them from a gynecoligist instead of her GP.
    As for diminished penile response, time will tell. It takes about 12 months before changes are irreversable. Plenty of time to find out if you're suited to the whole deal!

Love and Peace in '02

Irene
      January 7, 2002 1:38 AM GMT
  • ::) Alot of good advice here but in my
    opinion, one of the best natural sources
    of estrogen can be found in Red Clover
    Blossoms. You can find them in any heath
    food store in 2 forms, in the bin dpt.
    they're red clover blossom tops (the
    flowers), makes a great cup of tea!
    In the vitamin dpt., they're in capsules,
    many GG's take them for menopause. Actually
    a nutritious food, used in horse and cattle
    feed, really kicks when taken with a good
    vitamin regiment, makes skin and hair softer,
    increases bust size and sensuousness and
    an overall positive mindset. Really inexpensive. Love you'all!  

January 10, 2002 7:53 PM GMT
  • Hi Mae,

Thanks for the info, I'll look for that next time I'm in the local vitamin shop.
    How long have you taken them and in conjunction with what vitamins?
    The girls will want to know if you've experienced any diminishing of male erections?

Let us know,

Love

Irene
      January 13, 2002 2:43 PM GMT
  • :o Irene,
     It can't be a vitamin shop as much as
    a health food store because that's what
    it really is.
     Actually, it makes my shlong 1/2 a size
    bigger and another 1/2 a size larger, with
    no apparent diminishing. It might be different
    with every individual, I don't know but it's
    one of the hottest things on the Above & Beyond TG website but at three times the cost.
    Getting it at a health food store is a big
    tip.
      January 15, 2002 1:35 AM GMT
  • Hi Mae,

Thanks for the info, have you had any bust development yet?
    How about a little bit around the hips, any additional hip girth we should know about.

Also welcome I see you've become a member, congrats!!!

Irene
      January 22, 2002 8:36 PM GMT
  • Hi Mae,

I got red clover blossom capsules at a Holland and Barrett health shop. I'll try them for a month or so in conjunction with the cohosh and vitamins I'm taking.

Love

Irene
      February 3, 2002 2:35 AM GMT
  • Hi Mae,

Hey, don't come at me with the labels. Can't a girl just be herself without folks always trying to put them in a box.
    I don't prescribe to any of the pyscho babble or terms bandied about by the world in general. Frankly that TG people seem happy to accept these rather narrow definitions I find saddening.

Other than the mood swings I'm fine thanks for asking,

Irene
      February 4, 2002 8:15 PM GMT
  • Hi Girls,

Just a little update on the herbal supplements. I'm about 3 months along with the regimen I've been using, mostly black cohosh with B-complex and saw palmetto. The only changes I've noticed is a slight re-distribution of body fat in the hip and chest area. Handy as I can no longer step into some of my clothes. I've got a silver dress that I've had for 2-3 years and have always stepped in and pulleed it up. Well last night I tried it on for the first time in many months and don't you know, it won't go over my butt! Over the head and wriggle it down. The lesson I've learnt from this is to keep accurate body measurements and record them every month.

Love to all,

Irene
      February 9, 2002 2:23 PM GMT
    I am taking a full dose of hormones. Estradiol 3ea. daily 2mg tablets and Progesterone 100mg capsules. I went on them for a while, went off for a while and could not stand the months I was off of them. It was all I thought about. I could feel my body returning to being a male and it made me nauseated. Just thinking about looking male again was horrible. So I ordered more and started again, and finally got them today :)

So here I go again, and I guess this time I am going to keep going until I can't go back. I am tired of fighting my own mind and coming to terms to make society happy. I have been alive to long and been through to much shit not to be myself or to be happy. I spend more time helping everybody else to make sure they are happy. I am the most nonselfish person you could ever meet. And the most unhappy inside. Until the other day, I finally decided to just go through with it. This hormone on and off thing has been going on for almost 2 years. You'll know in time what you want. As your body changes, your mind changes, as you change. It is scary at first, but after  awhile looking in the mirror, the reflection of your true self emerges over the months. Its exciting. And to go off them is depressing. I am on for good now. No going back.

I must add at this date after receiving many emails I am a TS. I am going to a therapist and now I am going to an Endocronologist. Only a TS should be on HRT (hormone replacement therapy) I have a mind of a woman, It is wired and mapped that way. A tru CD/V has a mind mapped like a male and to take hormones will cause very trauatic side effects.
    Hormomes are very dangerous. If your desire is to take them YOU MUST SEE a thereapist and see what is going on in your mind. Please so not just take them and take your chances.  
      February 12, 2002 7:51 PM GMT
  • Hi Cindy,

You go girl!

Sounds like you've found the path, just need to keep on it.
    I know it's difficult to transition, hell in some backwaters damn near impossible. If you stick with it you'll find your reward!

Love

Irene
      February 19, 2002 6:48 PM GMT
  • Just started on black cohosh and saw palmetto yesterday. So far, so good.
      March 6, 2002 2:58 PM GMT
  • Hi, glad to hear it! Try red clover blossoms in capsule form too.
    I've used them for a 3 months with black cohosh and saw palmetto, with starflower oil and B-complex.
    During a recent doctor visit when I took off my shirt my doc commented that I my have a hormonal imbalance that had caused me to develop a bust. I told him not to worry had just put on a few pounds. In reality have lost 5 pounds and added 3 inches to hips too.

Good luck

Irene
      March 7, 2002 11:11 AM GMT
  • hello everyone! this is my first post in  (but not the last) in this forum. just a quick note about hormones and a brief of my story. like probably all the girls on here i realised that i was different to other boys in my teens. i always wanted to take something to feminise my body from being about 15 years old or so . When i was about 16 i was referred to a counsellor by my gp and she soon realised that i was confused about my gender. 'It was probably because i grew up with my mum and sister without my father around' ... she said. I was encouraged to not do anything rash, continue with therapy and to see what materialised. Although this seemed like good advice at the time .. I now regret this very much. I wish i had been more assertive with my opinion and gone ahead with my original plan. With hindsight ... the advice i got was terrible, one of the most overriding factor that i found with all transgender people is that no matter how much you try and run or hide or suppress your inner feelings ... they ALWAYS come full circle and the desire is stronger the more mature you get.My situation now has changed dramatically and is far more complicated with regards to making a transition to being a female. It would have been much simpler back then.
    You see now i'am in my late twenties and feel like i have missed out awfully on a lot of things that i wanted to do. I still haven't really made any sort of transistion, due to thinking that this was some sort of phase that i was going through after my therapy sessions.
    I used herbal remedies in my late teens that a friend told me about,on and off for about 12 months, but i did so very discretely, and they worked for me, i now still have the subtle feminine shape that they gave me. but at the time i didnt have a clue what i was taking. they could have been anything! NOT ADVISABLE !
    The advice i can give if there is any 'younger' members in a similar situation .. is trust your instincts more... i wish i had. but when it comes to taking hormones... either synthetic or plant extract ...PLEASE BE CAREFUL  and research extensively what you want to achieve and using what products .. These things will make you feel fantastic and will feminise your body if used correctly BUT ... these are genetically powerful chemicals that make massive alterations to your body. so please fully understand what they do and use them with caution ...my love to you all.    Andi xxxxxxxxxxx
      May 27, 2002 10:22 PM BST
  • Hi Girls,

Glad to see there's been some valid discussion while I've been away(Mary J Blighe wants no more drama in her life and girlfriends do i know how she feels!)
    The question about script hormones or herbals is noted.
    However if I may throw in my 2 cents worth:
    Not all of us are fully transexual, for some living in the limbo between male and female is our only option.
    We cannot be defined by simple terms. Some of us down right refuse to be labelled!
    I condone the experimentation of herbal replacements until finding the level of emotional happiness that may help you on your path to gender enlightenment.
    Having undergone "therapy" myself I know that it is not always the "get out of jail free" card as touted by those sucessful enough to have blagged that all important referal to the surgeon!
    Some of us don't fit into any box, as wide as they may be.
    Roll on the next gender revolution!

Love to all,

Irene

May 28, 2002 12:41 AM BST
  • thats so true Irene, as i posted before my associations with my therapist were a disaster. Although at the time her comments seemed pretty rational. Maybe because of my age at the time she thought (and convinced me for a period) that my problems were simply a phase, and not a gender issue ... stereotypes .. who needs them?.  Anyway i think for the immediate future im going to 'experiment' (for want of a better word) with some herbal remedies. With my current situation, i cannot now just do the radical swap and go the hog on prescription drugs.      xxxxx  andi
      May 28, 2002 3:10 AM BST
  • Hi Brandi,

You sound like some of the more potent hormone preperations are not the route for you. Just take small doses at first to check for allergic reactions, I found black cohosh made me nauseous after a night out for example. Gee, I wonder why?
    Read some of the previos posts, take it from me red clover blossoms are my fave:-)

Love

Irene
      June 7, 2002 8:46 PM BST